I am sure my laptop has been hacked. All the weird websites…

Customer Question
Hi, I am sure...

Hi, I am sure my laptop has been hacked. All the weird websites keep appearing, I can't control them. A warning came up and asked me to call(###) ###-####urgently yesterday. I called 5 times, no answer. I thought it might be part of a scam, but tried again today and got through. I assumed I was talking to Microsoft. They said they were cleaning up my computer and the malware I have was everywhere at the moment. Then they asked me for $299 USD and $499 USD to go ahead. I got suspicious and hung up. My question is, was it a legitimate site and what should I do. Regards Geoff

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

It's an Acer, it take a minute to look up the exact model and What is an operating system? Is that like windows?

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your Acer?

Acer aspire 5750, notebook computer

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Acer? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It is at least 5 YO. The warnings came up and I did what they said.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's fine Pearl

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
11/22/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Mr.Med, Computer Enthusiast replied 8 months ago
Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, I'mCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry this has happened to you. This is a popular scam that has been going on. Microsoft does not call customers regarding issues with computers, Please DO NOT call or let them have access to your computer, as they are probably installing spyware and other malicious items. Report them to the Internet Crime Bureau here : http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

also you need to call your card carrier, report the unauthorized charges, then cancel your card and order a new one.

Let me know if you need further assistance

Thank you

May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can scan your computer and better help you resolve this problem?

Are you there please?