Its on a video loop & can't access the menu items. QC968 not…

Customer Question
Its on a video...

Its on a video loop & can't access the menu items.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

QC968 not even a month old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It's been going on for 2 weeks; I've rebooted it more than once; tried accessing it using the downloaded computer app & their support tried connecting to it via IP address but the plug-in that attempts to download is blocked by Norton.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
11/21/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Sheri, Expert replied 8 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Hi JACUSTOMER-qtlf6coy,

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you. I understand you are having difficulty accessing your camera app from your computer. You mentioned the plug in that is trying to load. Can you please provide the name of the plug in and what browser you are using, such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox, etc?

Thanks,

Sheri-

I can't get the DVR off of a video loop that is displayed on the monitor connected to the DVR. This is preventing me from accessing any of the menu items of the DVR. When their tech tried remote connection via its IP address they tried the web plugin that is blocked by Norton.
I don't want you to securely connect I want an answer and not to keep getting prompt for payments. So far I'm not happy w/the service because I've yet to get an answer.
My initial $30 was supposed to be for an answer.... now you want additional $39 to connect but have yet to give me an answer.
webplugin.exe via Microsoft Edge

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what you have been prompted or offered. It may be automated by the system. I have not requested to connect to you. All I have done so far is asked you the initial question. My first suggestion would be to disable Norton Firewall, then download the plugin. This may allow you to get connected to the interface via the ip address.

If that's an automated prompt it reflects badly on the tech & will make the customer very unhappy. Norton was disabled & the webplugin.exe will not install. Still can't get this thing off of a loop, their support want's $89 w/the claim that they can get it installed. I can't even do a hard reset of the DVR; it can only be set to default but need to get the menu.

Please let me know what message you receive when you try to download the plugin with Norton Firewall disabled. Thanks

I have to go upstairs to that laptop so I'll log back into this session from up there.

ok sounds good

I can't find the webplugin.exe on my laptop its not in downloads & when I try to connect to my DVR via Microsoft Edge using the IP address it say it can't find it. I may have to spend the $89 to Q-See support so they can fix it :-(. Yes the video on the monitor connected to the DVR is still in a loop & I can view it the right way from my phone.

Just open your browser and type in the ip address you tried before and see if the error comes up. If so, let me know the error.

Also, sometimes with cameras and DVR's, there is a : after the ip address and a specific port number. Hopefully, when you start typing in the browser it will populate the history for you.

This is what happens when I type in the IP address: Hmmm...can’t reach this page. I've accessed my router to makes sure I had the right IP address and that's what is listed. I'll rate when done.
I can ping it and get a response.

ok, if you would like to go further, I would be happy to assist. If you prefer to contact Q-see, I do understand. My next questions would be

1. Is the DVR hard wired or wireless to the router

2. Do you recall if the DVR ip address was statically set or automatically assigned via the router's DHCP?

If you are able to access your router interface and log in, you can look at the client list to see devices connected and see if the DVR is connected. If it is, try browsing to that ip address it shows it is assigned.

The DVR is wired to a hub which is connected to the router; I set the IP to be static. I tried browsing to it as it is assigned and then with:85 after the address. 85 is the port number. My system had to reboot which is why I'm just responding.
I've tried Microsoft Edge; now I'm in Internet Explore; I've even tried from a different computer.
I've in the router and it shows it as ACTIVE

Ok, if you confirmed that you have the correct ip address and port number, the next step is to see if Q-see has a utility you can download from their website, or run from a disk if included with it. Sometimes their proprietary software can detect the devices even if you cannot browse to them. I will check their website for you.

Ok, I have the following software from them already: QSee View (which allow Live View just like on phone) for PC, ConfigTool (which is used to do firmware updates) both picks up the IP address. I have the latest firmware.

If the Q-see view picks up the ip address, what happens when you try to access the settings?

The view on the PC is just like on the phone/tablet; however I don't have the same menu options that are directly on the DVR. I can put the DVR to "default" to wipe out all custom setting and put back as if it was right of the box. Doing that "I hope" will take it out of the loop its in on the monitor connected to the DVR.

When you say loop, can you explain that further? Also, resetting the DVR was the next suggestion.

Showing the view from each camera one at a time for about 5 seconds each, then all 8 cameras for 5 seconds then it repeats that pattern. Camera 1 (5 sec), Camera (5 sec) all the way to Camera 8, then it will display 8 boxes on screen showing all 8 views for 5 seconds. Boy I wish I could reset this thing.

OK, try to go on the screen you see with the video looping. Then either right click or double click and a menu should appear. From there you should be able to get back into the toolbar/settings. Let me know if that solves it!

I've tried using the mouse connected to the DVR to do that and no response at all. I've even tried pressing the FN key on the DVR and no response.

try powering off the dvr, then connecting the mouse and then repowering the dvr and see if the mouse works

or on the computer, if you run the q-see utility what happens? do you see the full screen view? Also try on there to right click in the video view or double click and see if you can get the toolbar.

Its rebooting, I even plugged the mouse into my laptop and the mouse works in my laptop
No response from DVR when clicking the mouse, no menu or toolbar but there is red light on the mouse to show that its operative.

which is rebooting?

The DVR was rebooting

ok once it reboots try again to right click or double click and let me know the results

I tried no response.

ok, try to open the q-see utility on the computer. scan for the ip and try to access it and let me know what happens.

Are you talking about the ConfigTool or the QC-View?
The both software open up without a problem; the ConfigTool uses the IP address as well as the QCView software.

when you open the q-see view software from the computer, are you seeing the same full screen looping view of the cameras?

disregard, I see your next post

when you access through the computer via q-see do you get the same full screen loop with no toolbar or settings?

Nope, that's the weird/frustrating part

ok, it's a PC right? what version of Windows?

so on the computer you do have the toolbar and controls?

Laptop Windows 10 home

On the bottom left there should be a cortana search box. type in user account control to access the user account control menu. once in there, set the slider to the bottom setting, the lowest. Then reboot the pc. then let me know when that is done.

Ok, will do

just let me know when that's done

Done

Next do the following:

SETTING UP ACTIVEX CONTROL
STEP 1. Open Internet Explorer, (make sure it's not Edge)
STEP 2. Click on Tools
STEP 3. Select Internet Options in the
pull-down menu
STEP 4. Click on the Security Tab
STEP 5. Select Trusted Sites
STEP 6. Click on the Sites button
STEP 7. Uncheck the “Require server
verification (https:) for all sites in
this zone” button.
STEP 8. Type the DVR’s IP address
(obtained during Network Setup)
or DDNS domain name into the “Add
this website to the zone:” box.
STEP 9. Click the Add button
STEP 10. Close the window.

done

Now do this:

STEP 11. Click the Custom level…
button.
STEP 12. Pull down the “Reset to:”
menu button and select Low
STEP 13. Click the Reset button
STEP 14. Click “Yes” when asked, “Are
you sure you want to change the
setting for this zone?”
STEP 15. Click OK
STEP 16. Click Apply
STEP 17. Click OK
STEP 18. Close Internet Explorer

Done, boy IE didn't want to open up.
Done, but IE didn't want to open back up
My husband just got home from work, time to spend QT with him. I'll log back on tomorrow. Do I need to do the survey tonight or when the problem is resolved?

ok, just reply when ready. thanks

OK, I'll be back online tomorrow around 2.

ok just reply to this message tomorrow when you are ready.

I apologize for not getting online when I said I would; I needed to get ready for Thanksgiving day. I'm available now and tomorrow but not Sunday.
Tech Support Specialist: Sheri, Expert replied 7 months ago

I am away for the holiday and may be back online Saturday night. I will try replying then. Sorry for any delay.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I understand, enjoy family time we can resume on Monday.

ok, thanks. that sounds like a plan.

I'm just being able to get online. I'm ready; if its to late then lets schedule for tomorrow at 5 pm. I have online training for work on tomorrow and don't get off until 4:30.

Hi, just saw your message. Tomorrow at 5 pm is perfect. Just reply when you are on tomorrow.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I'm online

Are you available now?

I am

ok. I will send you the next steps in a minute.

ok

Now open Internet Explorer (not Edge) and type the ip address of the DVR into the browser and hit enter.

You will need to download WebClient.exe” from your DVR. It should offer you the Active X control and you need to say allow.

Here are the instructions:

Even if you plan on using one of the other browsers, you will need to first access your DVR
using Microsoft’s Internet Explorer browser because you will download a plugin “WebClient.
exe” from your DVR.

When the web page loads, you may receive a warning message along the top of the page indicating that an ActiveX control was blocked. You will need to click on the warning message bar to unblock it. You will be asked to install the file “WebClient.exe”. Click Allow to begin the download. Depending upon your security settings, your computer may ask you multiple times to confirm the installation and running of this application. This Explorer plug-in is being downloaded from your DVR itself and should list Q-See International, Ltd. as the publisher. Confirm the download and launch of the software as needed. This authorization process should only occur during the first time you access the DVR from that particular computer. When the Web Client plug-in is fully downloaded, it will launch in the web page and present you with a login screen. Enter the same user name and password ***** you use when accessing the DVR. You may also choose your preferred language.

This is what appears when I type in the address.Can’t reach this page•Make sure the web address http://192.168.1.204 is correct
•Search for this site on Bing
•Refresh the page
That's the correct IP address according to my router.

Go the Cortana search bar at the bottom left and type cmd to get a command prompt, then in the command window type ping http://192.168.1.204 and let me know what it returns

Accessed the Fios Router to test the connectivity: it ping successfully Packets: 4/4 transmitted, 4/4 received, 0% loss
Same response from CMD

Try turning off user account control next:

5. Select Turn User Account Control
on or off
6. Uncheck the box next to “Use User
Account Control (UAC) to help protect
your computer.”
7. You will then be asked to restart your
computer for the change to take
effect.

Windows 7
1. Open up the Start Menu (accessible
by clicking on the Windows icon in
the lower left of your screen.
2. Type “uac” into the search bar and hit
ENTER. The User Account Control
will open or you will be offered a link
to click to open it.
3. Move slider to lowest setting and
press OK.

I'm using Windows 10

yes, but it will be there

you can type user account control in cortana search box

It was already at its lowest setting

Follow this to see if the active x is installed:
To remove a downloaded program file (e.g. an ActiveX control)

1. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.
  2. In the Internet Options window, on the Programs tab, click Manage add-ons.
  3. In the Manage Add-ons window, in the Show: dropdown list, click Downloaded controls, right-click the item that you want to remove, and then click More Information.
  4. In the More Information window, click Remove. If necessary, enter the credentials for an administrator on the computer, and then click Yes to remove the downloaded program file.
There are no Downloaded Controls to remove, the box is empty. Active X isn't there

look in your downloads. is there anything called webclient.exe? Just in case it was downloaded when you spoke to Q-See

I tried that and it wasn't there, they just ran it not downloaded it. I can try to download it onto another system then copy it to a USB drive and try to install it that-a-way.
Husband will be home soon, I really appreciate all of your effort and patience considering this has been going on for a week now. I need to avail myself to him, what time tomorrow would be best if you think this can be resolved?

Try one last thing. Plug in a usb mouse into the DVR and click with the left button and let me know if you get a login screen.

If you don't have time, just reply with results after doing it, at your convenience. Thanks

I tried that too, I even tried switching out the mouse to make sure it wasn't the mouse. No dice.

ok, if possible, just pull the power cord and leave it powered off overnight and then plug in again tomorrow. we can go from there.

I just unplugged it and will keep it unplugged until the end of my work day since I work from home I'm perfectly okay with doing that during the daytime.

ok sounds good. just plug it in later this evening and see what comes up

Its been offline for 10.5 hrs, and its still doing the samething.

Here are a few more ideas:

1. Have you tried maybe plugging a keyboard into the DVR or maybe even a different mouse in case it doesn't detect the mouse?
  2. When the video screens are cycling, try to grab one with the mouse and pull it down to reposition or resize it
  3. Factory Reset

Let me know.

Thanks,

Sheri-Expert

to number 1 & 2, there is no button to allow me to do a factory reset it has to be done within the menu itself that I can't access because of the video cycling.

Ok, let me know when you try 1 and 2.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I managed to fix it, I uninstalled Q-See View software, rebooted my laptop and then reinstall the software. Then I enabled Microsoft Windows Defender disabled Norton Internet Security that are open the Q Seaview software click on device config, and clicked on the Internet Explorer icon. Then it installed the webplugin.exe software that allowed me to access my DVR via Internet Explorer. Once in there I was able to reset it to factory default clearing all previous settings and I did not lose any of my recordings or my password ***** now it's no longer on what inside of their settings is called a video tour and my mouse connected to the DVR now now works.