I have reason to believe that I have been scammed by people…

I have reason to...

I have reason to believe that I have been scammed by people claiming to be tech support. They wanted my banking info so they could give me $299 claiming my subscription had expired and they needed my PayPal information and bank account number. I was told to cancel my PayPal account since my number appears there. I wouldn't give my number and they got angry with me. Now my computer is locked up.

Technician's Assistant: Have you contacted anyone about your account?

I did call the bank and told them what I suspected and to not to give out any money to anyone.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model/Operating System (OS) of your computer?

HP Envy

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Hewlett Packard? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It's a couple of years old. I can't try any troubleshooting because it is locked up.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything else. I just don't want them to access my information and rob me blind.

11/21/2017
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
this is a scam targeting you for what the thieves say is tech support but will actually leave your computer more vulnerable than before. This is a common scam happening often in the past 6 months. Are you able to do anything on your computer?
no
I can't get into it.
What do you see on the computer when you start it up?
no - just forget it. I have a friend that is a tech. I just and I repeat just, wanted to cancel my paypal account for now.
Oh okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. I can walk you through canceling your PayPal account
To close your account:
Log in to your PayPal account.
Click Profile near the top of the page.
Click My settings.
Click Close Account in the Account type section and follow the steps listed.
If you have any follow-up questions, don’t hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of this page. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!
Ricky Expert