I have a direct ethernet connection from my smart TV to the…

Customer Question
I have a direct...

I have a direct ethernet connection from my smart TV to the Cox Cable modem. Yet the smart tv set up indicates there is no internet connection. I have verified that both ports from the modem are functional as both work with my desk top computer. The TV I purchased yesterday. The Blue Ray DVD player connected to the smart TV is operational. The TV model is LG 49UJ63. The ethernet cable is CAT 6 although the TV Owner's manual recommends CAT 7. The modem is new.

Technician's Assistant: Have you done a bandwidth test?

No How?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model/Operating System (OS) of your computer?

Dell Pentium?

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Dell? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Dell is 4 years old

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

The ethernet connections are direct connections directly to the modem. One direct wired desktop to modem. One direct wired Smart TV to modem.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
11/20/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Hello! Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist with your internet issue today.

I understand you have the modem direct to the TV. Was the modem connected to something else prior?

Let me know if you are online and I may have a solution to try.

No thanks

Okay, what may be the issue with it directly connected is the modem might remember the old device it was connected to. Sometimes resetting the modem by the power doesn't make it forget the old device. It normally requires it be unplugged for 30 minutes to clear the old device.

You can contact Cox Cable to ask them to "clear the Arp" on the modem which would let it talk to the TV. That could be an issue now.

I can walk you through the setup of the TV's internet connection settings as well just to make sure you have everything correct on there.

I just tried unplugging it for 30 minutes as you suggested. No change
Do you have any more suggestions or opinions?

Do you have a router?

No

On the previous chat, it says it was mentioned that this was typed:

How are you doing both?

Or is that one at a time?

According to Cox, I can have two devices connected to the modem. There are 2 ethernet ports. I am using one ethernet prot on the modem for TV, and one for the Computer

Oh ok! So you have a modem/router combo in one device. I understand now.

I haven't tried unplugging the computer to see if it is a bandwidth problem yet, ie just running the TV by itself...

I doubt that's the problem unless you're downloading a lot of stuff. But, I want to check the settings on the TV to see what it shows you.

Ok

The instructions for LG look to be similar so let's these:

Press the home/smart (house) button on your TV remote. Go to settings and all settings. Then click Network.

What does Wired Connection Show?

It shows checking... then when I try to load netflix it prompts me to update the netflix app... then it says no internet connection

Are you able to click on the wired connection?

it shows IP address, subnet mask, and mask address... Gateway and DNS address do not show as available
Correction: MAC Address not mask address

What is the first 2 numbers of your IP address? Is it a 169, 192, etc?

169..... FYI - Prior to connecting via ethernet, my computer and old TV were connected via wifi and router... router failed, so I decided to go direct wire via ethernet for both smart TV and desktop PC

169 means a few things but could mean hardware failure, bad cable, etc. I know you've checked the modem and the ports so we can eliminate anything cable related and beyond, but we're now still holding out with the TV to determine what's going on with it. For the heck of it, can I have you unplug the TV after you power it off. Keep it unplugged for 30 seconds and plug it back in? Access the Wired Connection area and tell me if it shows something different?

Same message... Let me be more specific. There are icons that appear to show connections from a modem to a wireless router then it appears to show a disconnect between the wireless device and the DNS server. Since I am not using a wireless router, I assume that the problem is that the TV is not recognizing that I am direct wired to a modem... although the message says "No internet via ethernet"
Should I disconnect my DVD player to eliminate potential problems?

Interesting. Let's unhook the DVD player like you suggested. Reboot the TV again and the Modem. Hook up the TV where the DVD player was connected in the modem. Let me know what happens.

Clarification: The DVD player is not connected to the modem. There is an HDMI cable from the DVD player to the TV and A/V cables from the DVD player to the TV... Still want to try as you suggested earlier?

Sorry, no need on that. I reread your original note and it was the desktop. Can you remove the desktop from the modem and do those steps (reboot TV and modem). Then tell me the IP address.

Only the first 2 or 3 #s of your IP.

Were you able to do this test?

I did. It almost worked. I got to Netflix long enough to change my password. Then, the connection was lost again. Thinking the modem did not have an internal router, I rushed to Best buy and purchased and installed a splitter, re-connected everything and I still cannot coonect to the internet through my Smart TV.
AV Not Connected... Help me OB1 Canobi

Lol. What kind of splitter did you buy?

What is the model number of your modem?

Splitter is NETGEAR 5 port gigabit ethernet switch... Modem model number is *****

Since it is getting close to 5pm central time, I do check responses while I am offline but my replies aren't quick. If you can answer those questions, I'll be able to help you as quickly as I can.

And you've responded! So, you don't need an ethernet switch. That won't help you much. You'd be better off getting a router. Anyone would do.

I have a favorite of mine that's a bit pricey that I have and my parents have as well.

Asus AC1900

It is great to handle live camera feeds if you ever get Cox Home Security or your own.

I looked at the modem. In order for that second port to work, you would have to sign up for another IP address with Cox. I don't know if they offer it anymore but it was a monthly charge. That port doesn't work like a router and that's why if you test one port with your computer and then the other, it works but have something else in it and it doesn't.

A Switch is more complicated to setup but basically you would have to have a bunch of manual ips to get it working. The ISP would have to allow more IPs through your modem which they don't do on a residential account.

Let me know which route you would like to go. If you would like to try a router instead and report back to me, I don't mind waiting for the results.

Were you able to get this working?