Is this a real person or a bot? I have an MSI GS43VRE.

Customer Question
Is this a real...

Is this a real person or a bot?

Technician's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the Computer Expert more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. What's the brand/model/Operating System (OS) of your computer?

I have an MSI GS43VRE

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your MSI? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Sorry. That was wrong. I have an MSI GS43VR GRE Phantom Pro. Earlier today it got stuck in something called Aptio Setup Utility

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's about it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
11/19/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Specialist Sean S., Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Specialist Sean S.
Specialist Sean S., Computer Support Specialist

Good afternoon/evening!...My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. What would you like resolved today? Please be as detailed as possible so I can help you the best way possible. Thanks!

My computer got stuck in Aptio Setup Utility. Can't find any information on how to exit.
How would you remotely connect to my computer?

I would give you a link that would get us connected. I can close the Aptio Setup Utility OR walk you through the steps if you'd prefer

Let me know what would be preferable for you!

Considering that I can't open anything else on this computer, I imagine step by step is the best option.

Sure. What version of Windows are you using?

I have Windows 10

Okay. One bottom bar where the windows logo is, can you find a open area and right click and choose TASK MANAGER?

I have no use of the mousepad here. It's all arrow keys, unfortunately.

Okay. Can you plug in a mouse or is the keyboard the only option?

Oh. I see. You're in the BIOS. You can either go to SAVE AND EXIT tab at the top OR force shut off the machine by holding the power button.

Both options bring me straight back here. Tried both multiple times.

Okay, then there's an issue with the hard drive or operating system. When did the computer last work fine and what has changed around the time it did not?

It was working just fine a few hours ago. I was watching Netflix and dozed off, woke up and it was on this screen.

on that main screen, can you go to STORAGE INFORMATION and let me know what is listed. It's possible the hard drive may have crashed, but I wont know until doing more digging

Okay. So it's still recognizing the hard drive. Can you go to the BOOT tab now and send a screenshot of that as well please?

Can you move hard disk up to option one please? and save and exit afterwards

Does it matter what the placement of the other options is?

No. We just want hard drive to be the first boot option

Once you save and exit, it will reboot. Let me know what happens then

Still loaded back to BIOS. Hard disk is still at option 1

Try boot mode to LEGACY instead of UEFI and then save and exit and let me know the results of that next please

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key
Based on what this is saying I probably should have mentioned I do not have an Ethernet cable to plug this into.

It's looking for the hard drive. It's possible it may have died, which is the main reason this message is usually generated

Are there any power or weather issues nearby when this happened?

I thought it was still recognizing the hard drive?

It is, but it appears to be corrupted to the point where it cannot boot from it. Can you get back to the APTIO screen? It may be pressing either F2, F12, F8, or F10 usually when first turn on the screen. It should say on it once you boot it up

Got it. Held down control alt delete until it came back

Okay. Are you at the APTIO screen then?

Also i just tried restarting it and pressed F12. It said it was checking media presence, then said no media found and went back to the aptio screen

Okay, then yes, the hard drive is definitely bad. It is being detected, but that will happen when it's not completely dead (meaning the drive is still running physically, but not working correctly)

I can find a replacement for you if you'd like and then you can install Windows 10 from a online download the microsoft site if you'd like

does that mean there's nothing I can do? Is my laptop broken?

That's correct. You can replace the hard drive and reinstall Windows. It will be working fine again if you do that, but this is a hardware issue now and that's the best current solution

Would you like my help in finding a replacement hard drive? Let me know if you have any other concerns or questions about this and I'll be happy to help. Please also remember to rate my service using the stars when you get a chance. Thanks!

Not to come off as rude here but am I about to be charged 36 dollars for the information that my laptop is broken?

Not a problem. Feel free to ask any questions you would like, but yes, you paid for the service of a tech and the diagnostics that go with it. We have no control over the outcome of the computer, especially if it's hardware. We can only help diagnose the issue OR fix it if it's software related. I wish I could do more to help, but yes, that's correct.

You still have access to this chat for any future questions related to this issue if you would like to come back once the hard drive is replaced

Also, please only rate me based on my service and not the issue itself. Thanks!