I have loaded Pinnical Studio 21. It starts to run and loads…

Customer Question
I have loaded Pinnical...

I have loaded Pinnical Studio 21. It starts to run and loads software, but fails at init databases. At this point it just returns to the operating system

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?

I have owed it for about 3 years

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model/Operating System (OS) of your computer?

It is a dell inspiron running windows 10 8Gb ram 64bit operating system and intel core i5

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Dell? What troubleshooting have you tried?

About 3 years ago. I have checked the spec required and it meets it and I have reinstalled the software using the repair option to no effect

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No I cnnot think of anything. I have used pinnacle studio 20 for some time succesfuilly

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
11/18/2017
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 7 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Just a moment while I review your question.

Thanks.

Please click the Windows Start button in the lower left corner of the computer screen then click PC which should display a window with the status of the storage drives on the computer. Then let me know the amount of storage available on drive C:

I have 3 drives on the computer:C: has 230 GB free
D: has 235 GB free
J; has 1TB Free

Ok thanks. You have plenty of storage space.

Next, disable your anti-malware software temporarily and they try opening Pinnacle and let me know the result.

If that does not resolve the issue then click the Start button then click Search and type

%appdata%

in the Search box and press Enter.

Then identify all the Pinnacle directories displayed in the window that appears and in the appdata / roaming and appdata / local locations. Right click on open space in the window and click New Folder and name it Old Pinnacle. Then move all the Pinnacle directories and files into the new folder.

Then restart the computer and try Pinnacle again to see if the issue is resolved.

I hjave diabled the antivirus etc software no effect I have also run the compatability checker and it still fails at the same place - init databases. I had task manager running and the software was running until the database point when it stopped and was not shown in task manager
I have tried the appdata route and found no databases in the name of Pinnacle
I have searched for pinnacle* databases and found
Pinnacle
c:\users\michael\documents
Pinnacle Studio
c:\users\michael\documents
Pinnacle Studio
c:\users\michael\AppData\roaming\microsoft\win.... type shortcut
Hi DavidI am in France and we are 1 hour ahead of you. Can we continue tomorrow please?

Yes, and I am in the US, in the PDT time zone. Tomorrow will be fine. Are you available same time as today?

HIFine. See you thenMichael
HiI have uninstalled the software and reintalled it. Just the same !!Michael

Ok, that tells me that the information in the Pinnacle folders is probably the root cause of the issue because they stay on the drive even after the program is uninstalled.

So next shutdown Pinnacle if it is running. Then rename all the Pinnacle folders you found mentioned above and in the appdata/roaming and appdata/local directories by placing the word OLD at the beginning and end of the file name.
Then uninstall Pinnacle again, reboot, then install Pinnacle and test to see if the issue is resolved.
Please let me know the result.

Will do.I have found the first two items, but the third one does not exist. I will try the search again
spoke too soon. hundreds of appdata have now been found. I will check to see if the one I want is therre

Ok

I have had some trouble uninstalling - there are many programs in the suit. I removed the main program and reinstalled. the same result.
I am wondering whether to install it on my sons computer. It is newer and has a better proceser
sorry processor not proceser
I am also wondering if the fact that I have pinacle studio plus ver 11 on the computer, is causing problems. It should not, but the directory structure could cause problems

Yes, you should be able to run both on the same computer however I have not tried that before and that may in fact be the issue. So if you need to keep version 11, I would recommend installing on the other computer. If it works then most likely there is a path or registry conflict or both.

Ok I will try it on my sons computer. It will be sometime this week so will let you know how we get on later

Ok thanks - I will check back when you post the results.

OK
I have at last got Pinnacle Studio 21 working. We had a major power failure which blew the OS on y computer. I could not get it fire up at all. Eventually I managed to get to the factory restore and grabbed the possibility when I had it!! Before that I just had a black screen. I have had to reinstall my important software - virus protection etc and then my inter net software, before
I could reinstall the Pinnacle Studio software, which I decided to down load from it from Corel's web site, in case the disk was corrupt. We have 'superfast' broadband here and so it took 36 hours to install !!! The line speed/band with is so poor that the down-loader kept loosing its connection!! Still it came down and the software WORKED !! I can only think that there was a problem with windows, which stopped the software working - probably a registry problem.Thank you for your help in dealing with the problem.Kind regardsMichael

Wow - that is certainly a lot of work! I would agree with your assessment, at some point the Windows OS was corrupted to the point that recovery may have been the best option. Glad I could at least help narrow the cause.

Thanks for letting me know the outcome and glad it is now working.

Best regards,

David.