I am getting phone calls from a pc repair company in India…

Customer Question
I am getting phone...

I am getting phone calls from a pc repair company in India telling me I have hackers getting all my personal information and they are telling me to get on my pc and let them fix the problem. Can you let me know anything about this?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

I have a Dell Inspiron 15

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Just the ones that were sent from microsoft

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
11/17/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Specialist Sean S., Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Specialist Sean S.
Specialist Sean S., Computer Support Specialist

Good afternoon/evening!...My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Would you just like me to look into this? Or also check to make sure your PC is secure?....the call is likely from a scam company, so I would almost immediately ignore this as it is a popular scam out there that many attackers use

Let me know if you have any other concerns or questions about this and I'll be happy to help.

My ignorance let me pay for their service and they are calling me via phone often. I do not allow them to get on my pc anymore.
And the federal trade commission sent me an email telling me they are getting a partial refund for the bogus company I paid.

That's good to hear. Again, yeah, it's a scam company. You can block the number from your phone if they are using the same one. Do you need my assistance with any of this or making sure your computer is secure?

The call I got less than twenty minutes ago was to let me know hackers are using my personal information and they wanted to get on my pc, but I would not allow them to do that.

The good news is is that they are likely NOT doing that. It's just an attempt to scare you into believing it that scammers often use. It's referring to in the IT world as social engineering or phishing

Is my computer secure??

I can check. Can you chose SECURE REMOTE CONNECTION and I can connect to your machine and check?...or would you like me to list several things for you to check to make sure it is?

If I allow you to connect to my pc, will it cost me more, as I live on SS only and expenses for me are very limited?

It will be an additional $9 USD

It should be sent now. The service is optional. There's a good chance your computer is secure and I can say that from an expert stand point. Please remember to rate my service using the stars if you would not like the remote support service. I'll be happy to help with any questions you have as well

Let me know if you have any other concerns or questions about this and I'll be happy to help. Please

also remember to rate my service using the stars when you get a chance. Thanks!