I got a message saying it was from microsoft, and to call…

I got a message...

I got a message saying it was from microsoft, and to call(###) ###-#### 844 is not a recognized area code. What should I do?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

Mac- hi sierra 10.13.1

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

Hi sierra is the name

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Apple? What troubleshooting have you tried?

The concern is whether the message I received was really from Microsoft. Should I call a number that I don't recognize?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Is Microsoft sending out messages that I have a virus?

11/17/2017
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello. Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today.

Please do NOT call up that number; it's shown by a scam/rogue third party, and NOT affiliated with Microsoft in any way. These types of "services" hijack the browser and show up these fake popups/alerts to trick users into providing them with their personal/financial info, along with allowing them remote access to their PCs. Microsoft will never provide unsolicited contact info unless their services are specifically requested for. You may simply restart your computer or browser to get rid of that popup/alert now.

If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

Otherwise, kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you,

How can I remove this rogue message from Safari?

PS: Please ignore any remote assistance offer shown on this page; it's sent at the site's end and not by me.

Bryan, Computer Support Specialist

OK; please do this now:

Click on the Apple menu at the top-left and then click "Force quit". Force quit Safari first, and then HOLD down the Shift key and click on the Safari icon.

Does this get rid of the alert? Do let me know; I'll be here. Thanks,