My computer won't start up, it turns on but won't open

Customer Question
My computer won't start...

My computer won't start up, it turns on but won't open windows

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?

Carr aspire s3 windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Oops acer not carr

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes I tried to install iTunes update and iCloud for windows

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Computer
11/16/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist replied 5 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Hello! Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I would be happy to help you today with your PC issue.

Do you get an error message? I understand you said you try to boot up but cannot open Windows. Just wanted to clarify that.

No it brings me to a troubleshooting page

What does it say on that page?

If I click troubleshoot it brings me to a page with four options, to exit and continue to windows 10, to use a device, troubleshoot, or turn off the computer

If you hit continue, does it not ever load?

If it doesn't, the next thing I want to try is Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Start Up Repair.

Let me know if this is what you tried.

Correct, it never loads and then it brings me back to the automatic repair page that says shut down computer or diagnose and troubleshoot
I haven't tried it yet, I'm doing it now

Okay!

If those steps don't work, I want to type out the next round. If you've already done this, you can let me know.

At the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot.

At the Troubleshoot screen, select Reset this PC.

At the Reset this PC screen, select Keep my files.

Select your user account and enter the password ***** prompted.

Select Reset.

Windows will perform the reset process

It's been running a "diagnosing your pc" page for ten minutes

Okay, Windows 10 is fast sometimes and slow others. I reinstalled Windows 10 on a family members laptop and it was stuck at 99% installing for hours. It's a known issue with Windows 10 but I myself thought something was wrong.

Still running that page

Okay, it does take a while. Let me know when it does something different. It might have to run for a few hours. If it doesn't resolve, I gave you the next set of instructions to try too.

If it does resolve and you're able to log back in, I just want to let you know how the site works. You'll be prompted with a rating in the top right. By rating me (hopefully 5 Stars), it's the only way I receive credit for helping you out on this issue today. It doesn't end the support. I just wanted to let you know in case it prompts you.

Did it ever start to work? Just following up to see how it went.

No
Any new suggestions?

What happened after it ran that test?

I am going to open this up to the other experts who may have had more experience in this. Everything I know that I had you try should have worked. Since it hasn't, let me see if someone else has something I am missing. Just one moment while I opt out and let another tech chime in.

Ok
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 5 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

In the Choose an Option screen select Troubleshoot then Advanced Options then Startup Settings then the Restart button.
Then after reboot a menu should appear - select Safe Mode with Networking and let it continue booting. Please let me know if it boots into Safe Mode.

The menu with the safe mode option never appeared, it just went back to the Automatic Repair page

Ok then next boot the computer and in the automatic repair page select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.

On the command prompt run the following commands:
BOOTREC /FIXMBR

and then press Enter.

Next run the following command:
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

and then press Enter.
If any errors appear then run the following:
BOOTREC /RebuildBcd

Then reboot and test to see if the computer boots normally.

Please let me know the result.

If no errors occur what do I do?
How do I reboot and test to see if computer starts normally?

If no errors occur after running the commands, type the following on at the command prompt:

shutdown /r

and press Enter and the computer will reboot.

I get the response: 'shutdown' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

It is OK to press the restart or power button in this case to restart the computer. Alternatively, close the command prompt and there should be a menu option to exit/restart as well.

It's gone back to the diagnosing your pc page

Ok then next go back to the command prompt and run the following commands:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Then reboot the computer and let me know the result.

Do you still need assistance?

I'm waiting for my computer to load command prompt
I put in
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
And hit enter and it wouldn't let me type anything further. The cursor blinks but when I type nothing happens.

Ok, then if it is still where the cursor is blinking and the cursor has not returned reboot and see if it will start and if it does not then the operation was not completed in which case you should boot to the command terminal and try it again.

Should I hit enter between the commands? I.e.
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
Enter
c:
Enter
cdboot
Etc

Yes - sorry for the confusion

David L
David L
David L, Systems Engineer