I,m unsure whether or not I have been scammed. On nov7 a pop…

Customer Question
I,m unsure whether or...

I,m unsure whether or not I have been scammed. On nov7 a pop up occurred on my mac advising my computer may have acquired a virus. The pop up was denoted e "microsoft" Icall the given number at 1(###) ###-####and discovered I had contacted Syssoftwarehub world who claimed they had been appointed by microsoft to scan and clear viruses. They claimed to be located in Los Angeles and the 3 technicians I talked to all had anglo saxton Names (e.g. ***** *****) but all had accents. To clear the virus cost me 235 dollars and I was required to open my computer to them. Attack 1 hour during which I observed continually reams of figures punctuated by no virus detected. They subsequently sold me a 2 year protection plan. I noted their parent company was printed on the invoice as located in Moldavia. Is it legitimate or is it a scam? Should I write it off as my own nievety or should I be concerned and be doing something if so what? Can you advise?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

Mac laptop safari (note i,m a senior and not swift e computors or computer talk)

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Computer
11/16/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 9 months ago
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

That is a scam for sure. Popups, scripts are embedded in sites so if you go to one that looks legit, it tells you that you have viruses,

warnings, security issues etc. Then have you call them or they call you and tell you they are microsoft.

We need to do these things to resolve this.

1. Call your cc/bank and dispute those charges as fraud. They are NOT microsoft. Get your bank to open an investigation on them/purchase.

2. You need to get your pc cleaned up. I can tell you how to be certain of this. They had to have downloaded programs on your pc to

gain access. Those programs and a couple more will be in your programs/features on the date they came in. They need to be removed

so they cannot get access anymore. And remove programs they installed for 'help'.

OR you can reset your system back to the day before they did that if those people didnt wipe them already.

3. Report them to microsoft by forms.

When you are ready to start this, let me know.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.