I am trying to open my SD card photos and it says... This…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to open my SD card photos and it says... This file cannot be opened. The file might be damaged....."When i just recently viewed my photos on another computer"

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?

Hp windows 8

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your HP?

Envy

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Hewlett Packard? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Im not sure if i have that... And i havent tried anything since i dont want to accidently delete the photos on my SD

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
11/16/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Please try copying one of the files to the computer's hard drive, then opening it from there.

which files?

One of the photos from the SD card.

i just copied it and pasted it to my desktop and it still doesnt work

Okay. What is the file size of the file? You should be able to see at the bottom of the Explorer window, or by right-clicking it and choosing properties?

27,459 kb

Thank you. What type of file is it? That is quite a large photo so I imagine it is a RAW file?

CR2 file

Okay, that is a Canon RAW file. Have you opened that type of file on this computer before? It is possible the computer does not have the proper software to open Canon RAW files.

no, is there a way i can open it?

Yes, you can convert the files to DNG. DNG is a universal RAW file type. You can download Adobe's CR2 to DNG converter here: http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win

If you are not a professional photographer or do not have pro software such as the latest Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, I recommend changing your camera settings to shoot JPG images so you do not have to convert them every time.

i downloaded the file and it didnt change anything

Install that program and once it installs open it. Then convert the CR2 files to DNGs using the program.

once i change it and press convert it says 'the source folder does not contain any supported camera raw files'

If you are in the right location, it sounds like the files on the SD card are corrupted. I think the best option is to go back to the computer they worked on and transfer them to a flash drive or external hard drive, then try bringing that to the other computer

Have you had a chance to try this yet?

If you have any follow-up questions, don’t hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of this page. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!