Last month, I bought an external hard drive made by Onenote.

Customer Question
Last month, I bought...

Last month, I bought an external hard drive made by Onenote. Sometimes the power light is on and sometimes if is off - regardless of what is happening on the computer itself. Even when the computer is not in use, sometimes the light and is - and then suddenly goes off. What does this mean?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?

Windows 10.1 It is a recent LG computer with a Celerion processor

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your computer?

It says "Multimedia computer system". But I think the issue is not with my computer - which runs everything else perfectly - but with the Onenote product.

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your computer? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I bought the compute about 4 years ago : no problems. I don't know what troubleshooting is available in the first place. I don't know what is meant by the power light going off and on when nothing is happening with the main frame.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
11/16/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Please allow me a minute to review your question.

Can you verify the make and model of your hard drive please?

As I said, it is sold as Onenote (from a Best Buy store). It comes with hardly any identification - not even the name, much less a model. However, I was told it is one-half a terabyte.

I am unable to locate any hardware from Onenote. Microsoft distributes a program by that name but that is as close as I can come. Is your computer always power on when you see the drive light changing?

I BOUGHT the Onenote producrt from Best Buy only a month ago - so someone must be able to locate it. Yes, the computer itself always remains on -but the power light on the Onenote external back up drive will go off and on with no pattern that Ican detect. How much will your service cost me?

I'm sorry but I just searched Best Buy for a One Note hard drive and came up with nothing. Regardless, any drive will intermittently be active while the computer is powered on as Windows is constantly checking the drive as is your antivirus software. This is normal of any drive.

My own computer tech guy thinks that your guy is wrong. I myself thought that your guy was just guessing anyway.
When your guy says that "Windows is constantly checking the drive", he is likely WRONG, since Windows has no need to check the back-up device on the D drive. Likewise, your gut is likely WRONG is imagining that the "antivirus software" checks the back-up device on the D drive : instead, the anti-virus software checks a DIFFERENT drive. Why does your guy imagine that mere anti-virus software would cause the back-up device on the D drive to flash EVER??
Dan, Computer Support Specialist