On Sunday I moved my old turbotax files to my new computer.

Customer Question
On Sunday I moved...

On Sunday I moved my old turbotax files to my new computer. Yesterday I downloaded 2017 Turbotax Premier. It cannot retrieve these files even via the browse option.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?

I also noticed that the new turbotax was downloaded to documents under OneDrive . Later I moved them to program files

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model/Operating System (OS) of your computer?

Windows 10 on a dell optiplex 5050

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your OptiPlex? What troubleshooting have you tried?

July 2017. ...I have no ides what else to do. when you browse i send to to the right folder but I have no idea what further files to get it to retrieve

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No that is it. by the way can you give me a phone number to call?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Computer
11/14/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer replied 9 months ago
Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

TurboTax data files can only be opened by the TurboTax software for the data year of the tax file. So a tax data file for 2016 with a file extension of .tax2016 can only be opened by the 2016 TurboTax desktop software for 2016.

Go to this TurboTax website to purchase and download one of the 2016 desktop editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

If you purchased the 2016 desktop software from TurboTax as a download then sign onto your download account here - https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/commerce/account/secure/login.jsp?pagecontext=download