My computer is ok but on Thursday of last week I got a call…

Customer Question
My computer is ok...

My computer is ok but on Thursday of last week I got a call from the anti-virus company that I was receiving protection from and they wanted to refund 149 dollars I had paid last year some excuse that the soft ware I had was out of date anyways he went through the info with me on my computer and a window opened on my computer where I was to type in $100 BUT FOR SOME REASON $1000 dollars got typed in and I went to Wal-Mart and sent back 758 dollars bt western union but when I got home and checked my banking info my account was missing the $1000 that was deposited by mistake plus the $758 that I sent by western union

Technician's Assistant: Have you contacted anyone about your account?

No because there is a holiday here today

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model/Operating System (OS) of your computer?

Its an acer

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Acer? What troubleshooting have you tried?

My computer is fine now but about four years ago I was having trouble and a window opened for me to call a technican and they offered me virus protection

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I would like to know if this was offered by microsoft support

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Computer
11/13/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 5 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

Unfortunately it sounds like you have been victim of a microsoft tech support scam. No legitimate computer company will ever call you. These scams are quite common now and many people have been taken by them. If possible I would suggest you see if there is anyway you can get your money back however it may be too late.

If you need more help let me know. If you are finished for now you need to rate my service by clicking 3 or more of the stars above.

but I have had computer virus protection from this company for the past 2 years so why would they scam me now

Who is the company?

Microsoft only has one antivirus software which is included free in windows so you do not pay for a subscription for it. Is this some other anti virus?

After reviewing your question even more it seems you were scammed years ago by the original pop up. Usually these scams go a couple different ways. One way is you receive a phone call out of nowhere from someone claiming to be from microsoft and they connect to your computer and tell you that you have loads of problems and charge you to fix them however they lie about the problems. Usually these people have an accent and sound like they are from India. Another thing they do is put out fake pop up messages on the internet that say your computer is infected and include a number for you to call them. Any software they give you is usually a free software, like a free antivirus. Also they often will request payment through western union or sometimes through gift cards. Please read this article on the microsoft website about these scams here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

Chris L., Support Specialist