Looking at building a 2U rackmount computer. It will be used…

Customer Question
Looking at building a 2U...
Looking at building a 2U rackmount computer. It will be used as a video server. I would like to start out with 2 HDMI video inputs and eventually go to 4. I would also like 8 USB ports. An i7 with 16gig and 2 TB HD. Will be running either Windows 7 or Windows 10. I need links to the parts. I will build myself. Its been sometime since I have built one but I'll manage. Also, ventilation is key. Don't want it to crash due to over heating. PLEASE ONLY RESPOND IF YOU HAVE FIRST-HAND KNOWLEDGE OF THIS TOPIC.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Computer
11/12/2017
Tech Support Specialist: George Sibiya, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 5 months ago
George Sibiya
George Sibiya, Computer Hardware Engineer

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for utilising our services.

In server rooms, the operational temperature needs to be maintained at around 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Depending on the size of your room and ventilation, an AC is always recommended.

You might want to look at some standards for server rooms and you will ignore some sections as yours is small scale:

https://www.utdallas.edu/infosecurity/files/Server-Room-Standard.pdf

http://blink.ucsd.edu/technology/computers/basics/resources/servers.html#Alarms-and-security

Warm regards,

G

You have not answered my question.
Please opt out of the question. I need someone whom is skilled in this field.
Tech Support Specialist: Damian Costa, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 5 months ago
Damian Costa
Damian Costa, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi...My name is ***** ***** a veteran technician expert with over 20yrs of experience...I have more questions first before we begin

OK

For something like this...the job ticket is going to cost more and I would call you and deal with you direct ($120)

If you want to proceed let me know

No sorry I can't afford that.

No worries...I will be opting out now to allow someone else to possibly do it for less

Have a good one!!!

No problem
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 5 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Do you still need assistance?

Ok thanks.

I notice you listed a single hard drive. So just to clarify, you do not want to use a RAID array correct?

Raid is not required now but will be in the future.

Do you need dual power supplies? (these are often required as well to increase fault tolerance).

If you plan on using RAID later, let me know if you would like to add a RAID controller card.

Also, are you planning on any additional add-ons in the future for which system board slots may be required?

Do you also need audio (legal in some states)?

Do you need RS422/485 serial lines for PTZ control?

Maybe to dual power supplies.Yes, add raid controller.Yes, possibly will need additional slots.No audio or rs422/485 at this time.

How many hard drive slots do you require?

Also, 1 Gig or 10 Gig? And how many network ports (dual is good for fault tolerance)?

Any IPMI (lights out management)?

Any IPMI (lights out management)?

David L
David L
David L, Systems Engineer