My husbands monitor has a notice on it that his computer has…

Customer Question
My husbands monitor has...

My husbands monitor has a notice on it that his computer has been locked out and must cal a certain number to correct the virus issue. Wondering if this is some org trying to get into his computer unofficially.?

Technician's Assistant: What confuses you?

Confused ? trying to get info regarding the message that keeps coming up on the computer regarding having to call a certain number. His computer is locked down. Can this be corrected?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?

HP, microsoft,

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

How to get his computer unlocked with this "alarming" message

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/9/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 months ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. That is a fake message. It is a scam, so please do not call that number, and do not follow any instruction in it.

Does the popup message still occur if you shut down / restart the computer? Or does it only occur when you open the Internet? etc.?

Is the Internet currently working on the computer?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please try the following fix:

1. Close all programs if possible.
  2. Disconnect the power cord(s) from your internet modem / router device(s) for now.
  3. Shut down the problematic computer.
    ; (Note: If it does not let you shut down your computer, then press and hold the Power on / off button on your computer for about 10 seconds, then it should power off.)
  4. Turn your computer back on.
  5. Open the Internet program on your computer.
    - It should display connection error or something similar.
  6. Close all the Internet pages / tabs / windows.
  7. Re-connect the power cord(s) to your internet modem / router device(s).
  8. Wait a few minutes.
  9. Open the Internet on your computer, and if prompted to restore, do not restore, but cancel / close it.
  10. Then see if the popup message is gone now.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

The fake popup message usually occurs when you accidentally click on a bad website link or advertisement, or bad email attachment. My solution above should resolve the issue.

- For more information about this kind of scams, please click on the website below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

- Do you have any further question? And/or do you need help with any computer issue today?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,