Yesterday I got a message that my computer was compromised…

Yesterday I got a...

Yesterday I got a message that my computer was compromised and would be shut down in 5 minutes if I didn't call the number on the screen. Supposedly it was from Microsoft. I called the number and they walked me through. It cost me $500.00. Is it legit? The number was(###) ###-####

Technician's Assistant:... Read full answer

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

It is an Acer, but I don't know what the operating system is. How do I figure that out?

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

I don't think so. I was on Facebook when the message came up that it was compromised

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I am on my phone right now so I will have to connect to my computer.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2017
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

An increasing number of computer users are receiving similar phone calls and some — afraid of potential data loss and device damage — are surrendering their bank account information in the hope this will protect their tech.

If you get such a call, we’re here to tell you — hang up. It is a SCAM!!!

Microsoft does not do that nor do they have partners who do that nor do they hire sub-contractors or people or even get volunteers to do that. Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

Cybercriminals pretending to work for Microsoft, Geek Squad, or any other nationally-recognized tech company call their intended victims, claim they’ve scanned their computers remotely and found viruses on them. Relying on computer users’ fear of viruses, data loss and identity theft, they trick people into giving them actual access to the computer.

Once the scammer has access to the victim’s system, they will often show the user scary looking error messages on the machine, require immediate payment to cleanup the “dangerously infected” computer and install more “protection” software onto the system. Chances are they’ll take the opportunity to install other bits of malware to capture the victim’s online shopping or banking information.

Check the link below for more information.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

If you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is my computer compromised since I paid them the $500?

No. It was their idea to give you fake messages through some websites and ads, and you believed it is true. Since they have done accessing your computer, it is better to backup your data and scan you computer with any Antivirus that you have. Change your computer's password, change the password ***** your main email account, and change the password ***** any financial accounts, especially your bank and credit card.

I would suggest you report it as per the instructions in the link I have given. If you have already paid $500, we cannot do anything to get it back.

If you have any questions, please be back and let me know. If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

Thank you!

Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Pradip helped with the problem yesterday but after I did a
Pradip helped with the problem yesterday but after I did a shut down and left it for several hours, the problem came back and is the same as it was. Do I really get charged again for a problem that wa… read more
Computer Technican,
I just got a message and my computer was blocked and I was
I just got a message and my computer was blocked and I was told I needed a firewall and this call was from Microsoft … read more
Rahul Ray
Rahul Ray
I cannot login in, Are you a Legit Facebook technician!
Yes I talked with a Facebook support and he had me pay $300.00 to connect me because of my account supposedly was hacked. And then proceeds to tell me I needed to pay another $500.00 to clear up the hacking.… read more
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin
Associate of Science in Social Sciences
Stop searching for answers—
My facebook has been hacked on my apple ipad iphone and desk
my facebook has been hacked on my apple ipad iphone and desk top … read more
Ameen Khan
Ameen Khan
Senior IT Support Specialist,
Information Technology Management / Computer Science
I had a message on my computer that my computer was being
I had a message on my computer that my computer was being hacked and told to call microsoft at 1-***-***-****. i called the number and was informed by a woman with a foreign accent that it would cost … read more
Hardware Engineer,
Setting message supposedly from Microsoft Thai I have a
Setting message supposedly from Microsoft Thai I have a virus and asking me to call 1-***-***-**** for asssistance. Is this legit of phishing. … read more
Mr.Med
Mr.Med
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I just got a call from Microsoft telling me my computer had
I just got a call from Microsoft telling me my computer had been compromised, do not look at my finances or buy anything online. Is this legitimate. They said this would continue until I got Microsoft… read more
Cody
Cody
Systems Engineer,
I was talking to a very sick friend last night and suddenly
I was talking to a very sick friend last night and suddenly my screen went white and said that I needed to call this number for a support person because they detected a virus and told me not to shut m… read more
Cris
Cris
I just received a call saying that my IP address has been
I just received a call saying that my IP address has been compromised and I need to call them immediately or my computer will stop working. Is this true. Does Microsoft hire people to do this. … read more
Cody
Cody
Systems Engineer,
Yesterday, my husband got a message on his computer to
Yesterday, my husband got a message on his computer to contact a number on the screen because windows on his computer was compromised. He called and he jumped through hoops with someone you could hard… read more
Cory
Cory
I was sending a msg. On Jacquie Lawson web site which I use
I was sending a msg. On Jacquie Lawson web site which I use frequently. A verbal msg. Came on stating it was Microsoft, and my computer has been infected by a virus or spy ware and. If I don't call 1(###) ###-####they will be forced to shut down my computer and I could lose e mails face book and my credit cards may be compromised. This has happened before, and I got taken by a scam. I have contact who has told me to disregard it. I did and was able to send an e mail ,but then the verbal msg came back on and has taken over again. I can not reach my contact person, and I want to be absolutely sure that the msg is a scam and not from Microsoft. The contact number is ***** from Microsoft's. However Microsoft do not accept direct phone calls. … read more
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert
I have this.message supposedly from Microsoft saying I have
I have this.message supposedly from Microsoft saying I have error OX80072 ee7 and to call 855_840-3329. Is this legitimate? Only the desk top is showing this. … read more
IT/Web Manager,
Stop searching for answers—
Yesterday something came up on my computer while I was on
Yesterday something came up on my computer while I was on facebook telling my acct. had been compromised and could get access to my cc, acct. pswds. etc. the call back number was(###) ###-#### Was thi… read more
Cory
Cory
I received an alert on my computer that says I have a virus,
I received an alert on my computer that says I have a virus, the Zeus virus, in my computer. It says I should call Microsoft immediately at(###) ###-#### When I looked up the number on my phone it sai… read more
AAS Information Technology
This window popped up on my computer while I was using
This window popped up on my computer while I was using Firefox. Is this for real or somebody trying to get my information? ** YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN BLOCKED **Error # 36580fa08924cf1Please call us imm… read more
Cory
Cory
I got an warning about a virus called koobface on my
I got an warning about a virus called koobface on my computer. they gave me a phone number to call and they said they worked for Microsoft. After a few minutes of explaination. they advised me to purc… read more
Computer Technican,
I was on FB and poked one of the pictures that shows up on
I was on FB and poked one of the pictures that shows up on the sideline where the ads are. It was of a pit bull and a baby. What came up is message that says this page is malware and to contact Micros… read more
Michelle
Michelle
Manager operations,
I had a call from a person who had my name and address and
I had a call from a person who had my name and address and who said they were a service for Registered Microsoft users. The are from a firm called logmein.com. They went through a rpocess of identifyi… read more
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts