I am trying to find out how to verify that a message on my…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find out how to verify that a message on my pc is FROM MICROSOFT, and not a scam.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

The pc is dell and windows 7

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

This is in regard to a message that told me Microsolf was alerted that I had a virus, and gave me a number to call to unlock my pc. If I don't call it, and close the program by restart, they will lock me out of use.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Shefin, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

An increasing number of computer users are receiving similar phone calls and some — afraid of potential data loss and device damage — are surrendering their bank account information in the hope this will protect their tech.

If you get such a call, we’re here to tell you — hang up. It is a SCAM!!!

Microsoft does not do that nor do they have partners who do that nor do they hire sub-contractors or people or even get volunteers to do that. Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

Cybercriminals pretending to work for Microsoft, Geek Squad, or any other nationally-recognized tech company call their intended victims, claim they’ve scanned their computers remotely and found viruses on them. Relying on computer users’ fear of viruses, data loss and identity theft, they trick people into giving them actual access to the computer.

Once the scammer has access to the victim’s system, they will often show the user scary looking error messages on the machine, require immediate payment to cleanup the “dangerously infected” computer and install more “protection” software onto the system. Chances are they’ll take the opportunity to install other bits of malware to capture the victim’s online shopping or banking information.

Check the link below for more information.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

If you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!