My questions concern using Gmail as my primary email

Customer Question
forwarded to Outlook (preferred email...
forwarded to Outlook (preferred email program to read, file and send email). Is there a way to archive all of my Gmail "labels" as a whole? In other words, can Gmail archive all email currently moved into 250+ labels all at one time? I have over 13gb of email that is synced in Outlook, which I want to keep. Gmail controls what is... Read full answer
My questions concern using Gmail as my primary email forwarded to Outlook (preferred email program to read, file and send email). Is there a way to archive all of my Gmail "labels" as a whole? In other words, can Gmail archive all email currently moved into 250+ labels all at one time? I have over 13gb of email that is synced in Outlook, which I want to keep. Gmail controls what is forwarded into Outlook. I have discovered that even though I have archived email forwarded to Outlook, Gmail repopulates Outlook folders every time I perform send/receive. My OS is Windows 7. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
10/24/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer replied 1 year ago
Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.

You can backup your gmail emails either on cloud or on your personal computer.

To backup on cloud you can use :- https://www.backupify.com/

To backup on your local machine use :- http://www.gmail-backup.com/download

Gmail will keep on repopulating emails until they are removed from gmail account itself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What exactly is the backup doing? Archiving my current emails and labels? Do I need to remove all emails moved to each label in order to clear out each label? There is no other way to backup/archive (remove all emails in current labels) all of this information and start fresh? This seems to be a laborious manual process. Any other options? Thank you.

I think, There is a way, Although there is no direct way of doing this but some software's claims that they can do it. I have not tried that yet. I will try it first in my computer and then share the steps of archiving and deleting archived emails so that you can start fresh.

Thanks !!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just to be clear ... I want to be able to remove all emails in all 250+ labels and place those emails in a backup or archived file. Thank you very much.

I got it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One more thing ... about half of the labels have sub-labels. Outlook does this process easily vs. Gmail. Thank you.P.S. I understand my question is complicated. Take the time you need in the hopes of finding a solution for me.

Which version of outlook you are using ? I found a sort cut method to get this done using outlook itself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Outlook 2010.Just for clarification ... I can perform an archive session in Outlook for all folder and sub-folders and also breakdown the archive by a specific date - all data is removed from the folder and sub-folders - folders and sub-folders remain. As of right now Outlook does exactly what I want to do in Gmail. So the desired result is to be able to do the same thing in Gmail. GMail repopulates into Outlook either adding or replacing the email files that I previously archived. Basically, I wasted my time. Thank you.

Try this setting in gmail :-

1. File-> Account Settings-> Account Settings…
  2. Double click on on your Gmail account to open its settings dialog.
  3. Press on the button More Settings…
  4. Select the Deleted Items tab.
  5. Select the option: Move deleted items to the following folder on the server
  6. Select the Trash folder from the [Gmail] root.
  7. Enable the option: Purge items when switching folders while online
  8. Press OK to apply the changes.
  9. Press Next to verify your changed account settings.
  10. Close the test dialog, press Finish and then Close to return back to the main Outlook window.

And login to your gmail account from browser and do this settings :-

1. In Gmail on the web, open your Settings dialog and select Forwarding and POP/IMAP or use this direct link.
  2. In the IMAP Access section, select the following options:
    • When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:
      Auto-Expunge off – Wait for the client to update the server.
    • When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:
      Move the message to the Trash
  3. At the bottom press the button Save Changes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the message you sent my time 11:57pm, you talk about expunging, will this be deleting messages. Are these message going to be archives for future reference? Or are the messages being saved in a different location (not the cloud). I'm trying right now to follow each step.

Yes, this will ensure that the message which you are deleting using an Archive option from outlook does not come back again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Under the instructions
I seem to be missing something. I can't find 1. File-> Account Settings-> Account Settings… I tried pressing the "cog" upper top right corner. I can press the "Cog" and I see listings of tabs. I have a screenprint to show you. I'm confused. Sorry ..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How's this:
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Was not able to save changes.

This screenshot says your changes are already saved.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Button is grayed out.

Click on Archive the message option and then click on save. It should allow you then.

After doing this. Try Archive option and see if these emails are coming back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry ... I don't see any where to "click on Archive the message option, then click save on the attached screenprint.
Did this fix problem for you ?
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a 200g gmail inbox and use outlook. I have a massed
I have a 200g gmail inbox and use outlook. I have a massed about 50gig of email and outlook is not working any more. What do i need to continue the inbox and have the storage capacity that I am paying… read more
Richard W.
Richard W.
I have a gmail account on my iPhone. I receive 100's of SPAM
I have a gmail account on my iPhone. I receive 100's of SPAM emails into my SPAM box daily. How can I block these or do a mass delete like in the TRASH mail box. Please help this is driving me nuts. I… read more
Computer Specialist,
I need to be able to sort my GMAIL into very specifc groups
I need to be able to sort my GMAIL into very specifc groups and then be able to send that group of resumes onto my hiring managers according to how I grouped them. I have been asked to go back through… read more
Dr-Obbins
Dr-Obbins
Global Information Service Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
My googlemail inbox does not list emails in May & June but
My googlemail inbox does not list emails in May & June but when I click onto 'important' they are displayed.The 'sent mail' list is normal… read more
Computer Specialist,
ok, how can I set outlook 2010 as the default email for IE
ok, how can I set outlook 2010 as the default email for IE 8? I have tried to set the defaults, unsuccessfully. Also, when I get email from GMail in Outlook, It duplicates every message I send through… read more
Bit convoluted. On my home computer I use google chrome and
Bit convoluted. On my home computer I use google chrome and g mail and have a bt account forwarded to that gmail account. At the office I have Outlook but somehow I think it is linked to 1and1.co.uk w… read more
Bill Clark
Bill Clark
Director of IT,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Two questions, one of them previously attempted with no success
Two questions, one of them previously attempted with no success by a Just Answer guru. Both of these involve Microsoft Outlook sites: 1) I have three Outlook (not Express) accounts on my computer. Som… read more
RPI Solutions
RPI Solutions
Technician, Developer,
I have a domain and use Google as my email provider. I need
I have a domain and use Google as my email provider. I need to figure out how to have 1 email address that multiple users will see incoming mail, but when 1 of the multiple users takes care of the ser… read more
I opened a new gmail account [email protected] on 3/5/2008
I opened a new gmail account:[email protected] on 3/5/2008 and set up a password. I can't get access to my account and get a message that the account is unavailable. I also have an email account [email protected]… read more
Molinari
Molinari
Professional Tech Expert,
CompTIA A+ Certification
I am having problem getting outlook 2010 to archive...I have
I am having problem getting outlook 2010 to archive...I have gmail set up to do IMAP syncing and i have extremely large sent mail and all mail folders which (i believe) are slowing down my outlook 201… read more
Justin
Justin
Network Administrator,
my outlook calendar will not sync with mobileme. I never syncs
my outlook calendar will not sync with mobileme. I never syncs automatically even though i have that setting. when manually syncing only contacts sync. i had new caledar and went back to old. did not … read more
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
I have outlook express and I send notification of every appointment
I have outlook express and I send notification of every appointment to my secretary as I am on call 24/7. Is there a way to automate this practice so that anytime I add a appointment it automatically … read more
Ms Techie
Ms Techie
Software Engineer,
Stop searching for answers—
NEEDS A GOOGLE APPS OultookSYNC EXPERT - Why are emails in
NEEDS A GOOGLE APPS OultookSYNC EXPERT - Why are emails in inbox and sent folders older than 5 months deleted from my Outlook account when they are still in Google. (Previous expert had no answer - we… read more
Information Technology Manager,
I was not aware that I could not have more than 1 Gmail account.
I was not aware that I could not have more than 1 Gmail account. I opened another one and now cannot access the first one. Is there any way to get it back? I love gmail and wanted to change a ymail ad… read more
Adam Mohr
Adam Mohr
Technology Development Manager,
On my android I have wrongly send a email in the archives.
On my android I have wrongly send a email in the archives. I can no find it anymore .How to restore it?… read more
Molinari
Molinari
Professional Tech Expert,
CompTIA A+ Certification
I have a new computer with windows 7. I wanted outlook email,
I have a new computer with windows 7. I wanted outlook email, so I purchased office outlook 2007. I just noticed my inbox emails have been archived. I do not want that. I want my emails back in my inb… read more
Mike D.
Mike D.
IT Analyst,
hi- i have been using gmail forever and have many labels
hi- i have been using gmail forever and have many "labels" full of stuff. I am migrating to using outlook as my primary calendar and email platform, and have linked my gmail account to it....BIG quest… read more
Lynn Harrison
Lynn Harrison
President,
How can I stop Agendus and Outlook from deleting my appointments
How can I stop Agendus and Outlook from deleting my appointments after only a short time? I use Agendus to bill my time and need to keep a year of records. Thanks… read more
Comp Master
Comp Master
Engineer ,