I can't seem to turn on file sharing. Dell studio 15,

I can't seem to turn...
I can't seem to turn on file sharing
JA: What's the brand/model/Operating System (OS) of your computer?
Customer: Dell studio 15, Windows 7 Pro
JA: When did you purchase your Dell? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: probably 4-5 years ago. I've tried enabling it in advanced sharing settings.
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: At this point, key problem appears to be that every time I try to enable file sharing, save it, then go back to the setting it's off. The sharing tab also doesn't show in folder properties
10/21/2017
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Are you logged in as an administrator?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no thanks

Okay thank you. Are you trying to share a folder?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have seen via google othrs have had similar problems. Unlike most of them, my Network discovery is enabled.Like them, when I try to enable sharing, when I save the change and come back to the advanced sharing settings, I find it has not enabled

Are you the only one that uses the computer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry, the Send button wasn't visible so I just hit Enter

No problem. Are you the only one that uses the computer?

Open Control Panel then click on Administrative Tools.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did know that every time you send me a message, I'm sent a text with a url for your message?

Are you chatting with me from your phone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
done
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, I'm chatting on the laptop with the problem

Click on Computer Management then Local users and Groups.

Click on the Users folder and locate the Administrator user.

Right click on that and select Properties.

Remove the check from Account is disabled and click on apply or ok.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
admin tools doesn't have a users entry.I could use computer management / local users

Oops! I was thinking of Windows 10. That will work just fine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i've enabled administrators

Restart your computer and when it boots, Administrator will be one of the users listed. Click on that to log in then try setting your file sharing again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do

Let me know how it goes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No change. I'm replying via cellphone
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This isn't working. It was worth trying.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At this point, I consider the session ended and that I pay only the deposit as I don't have an answer.

Still with me?

Press the Windows key + the R key to open the run field, then type services.msc

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm afraid I'm finished with this session.

I have one more thing you can try if you want?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have services open

Locate the Windows Firewall service and disable it. After that try your file sharing again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, no changes in symptoms

Okay. When you have a chance, make sure Windows has the latest updates, and if you are using any antivirus software, you might also check the firewall settings there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm going to see if rebooting helps

Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Again, no changes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm calling it quits at this time.

Okay. Check out what I suggested above. There may be a setting in the registry that is missing but that can be complicated to check.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It used to work. I needed to use the laptop as the primary one failed.

Well if it has been awhile since you have used it then make sure Windows is up to date.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Done. Thanks.Mike

Good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good night

Same to you!

Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Dan, Computer Support Specialist