I can't seem to turn on file sharing. Dell studio 15,

I can't seem to...

I can't seem to turn on file sharing

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model/Operating System (OS) of your computer?

Dell studio 15, Windows 7 Pro

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Dell? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Probably 4-5 years ago. I've tried enabling it in advanced sharing settings.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

At this point, key problem appears to be that every time I try to enable file sharing, save it, then go back to the setting it's off. The sharing tab also doesn't show in folder properties

10/21/2017
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Are you logged in as an administrator?

no thanks

Okay thank you. Are you trying to share a folder?

I have seen via google othrs have had similar problems. Unlike most of them, my Network discovery is enabled.Like them, when I try to enable sharing, when I save the change and come back to the advanced sharing settings, I find it has not enabled

Are you the only one that uses the computer?

sorry, the Send button wasn't visible so I just hit Enter

No problem. Are you the only one that uses the computer?

Open Control Panel then click on Administrative Tools.

Did know that every time you send me a message, I'm sent a text with a url for your message?

Are you chatting with me from your phone?

done
no, I'm chatting on the laptop with the problem

Click on Computer Management then Local users and Groups.

Click on the Users folder and locate the Administrator user.

Right click on that and select Properties.

Remove the check from Account is disabled and click on apply or ok.

admin tools doesn't have a users entry.I could use computer management / local users

Oops! I was thinking of Windows 10. That will work just fine.

i've enabled administrators

Restart your computer and when it boots, Administrator will be one of the users listed. Click on that to log in then try setting your file sharing again.

Will do

Let me know how it goes.

No change. I'm replying via cellphone
This isn't working. It was worth trying.
At this point, I consider the session ended and that I pay only the deposit as I don't have an answer.

Still with me?

Press the Windows key + the R key to open the run field, then type services.msc

I'm afraid I'm finished with this session.

I have one more thing you can try if you want?

Ok
I have services open

Locate the Windows Firewall service and disable it. After that try your file sharing again.

Sorry, no changes in symptoms

Okay. When you have a chance, make sure Windows has the latest updates, and if you are using any antivirus software, you might also check the firewall settings there.

I'm going to see if rebooting helps

Sounds good.

Again, no changes
I'm calling it quits at this time.

Okay. Check out what I suggested above. There may be a setting in the registry that is missing but that can be complicated to check.

It used to work. I needed to use the laptop as the primary one failed.

Well if it has been awhile since you have used it then make sure Windows is up to date.

Done. Thanks.Mike

Good luck!

Good night

Same to you!

Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Dan, Computer Support Specialist