Actually it's a probem with my toshiba external backup

actually it's a probem with...
actually it's a probem with my toshiba external backup drive. my internal hard drive crashed and for some reason the backup software on the toshiba external won't read backup image when i try to recover. can you help?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: it's a toshiba desktop external drive. i don't see a model # on it. the computer i'm trying to restore to is a dell laptop.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: to the drive, no
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so
10/20/2017
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

What is the name of the backup software you are using that is on the external drive?

Also, what software did you use to create the backup?

before we proceed much further, are you planning to charge me $31 for every answer or is that the fee for the entire back and forth correspondence until we find a solution to my problem? I want to be sure I'm clear on the process and cost because the site was unclear and I'm not up for $31 per answer. The external drive is a toshiba external HDD usb drive and I used the backup and restore software that came with it called "Backupsoft". Note i can see the backup folders and files in file explorer when hooked to my laptop but the backup software itself does not seem to respond when i ask it to restore the latest backup. I'm doing this because my hard drive crashed on my desktop pc so now i'm at the point where i've removed the HD from my pc and am trying to get the backup files from the external backup drive on to my laptop for now. desktop was running windows 8.1 and this laptop is on windows 10

No, you are not charged for every response from me, the 31.00 is deposited for this single question.

Please check the drive again and let me know if you can see anything that looks like an exact model number on the Toshiba drive? If not then let me know how the Toshiba drive is identified in Windows when you connect it to Windows 10.

the model # is
ph3100U-1exb

My apologies for the delay.

Please click the link below and follow the procedure to resolve the issue. The backup software has a defect in it and a built in workaround that repairs the backup files when this issue occurs:

click here

Please let me know if you need assistance with any of the steps and please let me know the result.

ok. i clicked the link and went to the "knowledge base" tab and chose the "you do not see an existing backup...". One difference is that i can actually see the backup in my software, but when i select the backup from the list for restore, it won't allow me to click the "next" button to proceed with the restore. my only options are "back" or "cancel"-- "next" is greyed out. Regardless, I followed the steps to fix and as i get to the last step i get a pop up box that says, "Backup set name, 'Lenovo full backup' already exists. Repair catalog will replace the existing backup set. Do you want to overwrite the Backup set? Yes or NO. To me this looks like a yes answer will overwrite the backup set from the laptop that I currently have the external drive hooked up to. i don't want that to happen because the backup set is from my main pc that has crashed. thoughts? or did i not follow the right thread of instructions to fix

You did the right thing by not moving forward with overwriting the backup set. I have a possible workaround for that however first run the program in compatibility mode to see if that will enable the program to run correctly. To do that right click on the program, then click Properties, then click the Compatibility tab and select the Run This Program in Compatibility Mode check box and in the drop down box select Windows 7, and select the Run This Program as Administrator check box then click Apply and OK. Then run the program again and let me know if it works.

Tried but I don't see any compatibility tab option within Properties???

Please see and follow the instructions on how to set the compatibility settings in the second part (scroll down the page) of the web page at the link below:

click here

David, I did this but had to use the first method on the page of "run programs" in order to get to the compatibility mode. Running it from the app was not an option given in the properties tab of the app. I tried it first in windows 7, then windows 8, windows vista then windows xp and none of these allowed me to proceed to restore the backup set. I can see the set, I can click on the set name but it just won't allow the option to select the "next" button which would begin the restore process. Do you think there might be some sort of update for the backupsoft.exe file that may be available from Toshiba? Or is there another software program I could use that has the ability to open and convert the backup files??-- they are all .RIM files

Yes, I agree that an update may fix the problem. However, please try the following procedure first as I found the software has an issue with referencing the specific drive letter that the hard drive was assigned when the backup was made. If the drive letter changes when you plug it in for restore (as is often the case with USB external drives) the software does not work until the original drive letter is assigned to the drive again. So next click the Windows Start button then click the Search box and type

Disk Management

in the Search box and click on the Disk Management icon that appears. Then in the Disk Management window right click on the external drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths and then change the drive letter to the drive letter you recall the drive being assigned when the backup was performed. Save the setting and then start the backup software and try the restore again.

Please let me know the result.

David L
David L, Systems Engineer
David,
That worked like a charm! Changed it to G drive and everything after that worked exactly like it should. Thanks very much for the assistance and solution.Brent

That is great and glad I could help!

David L
David L
David L, Systems Engineer