My friend gave me her used Toshiba laptop and I need to make…

My friend gave me...

My friend gave me her used Toshiba laptop and I need to make myself the administrator instead of her. (She gave me her password) How do I do that?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?

The laptop just says Toshiba. I'm running Windows 10. Would a serial number help?

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Just McAfee

10/18/2017
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Windows 10

1. From the Start menu, navigate to Settings.
  2. Select Accounts.
  3. In the left menu, select Family & other users.
  4. Click Add someone else to this PC.
  5. Choose whether to create a Microsoft account or a local account.

To create a local account:

1. At the bottom, click I don't have this person's sign-information.
    2. Click Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    3. Enter a username and, if desired, a password.

This is all you will need to create the second account, as long as you have access to the first admin account.

Please rate this solution with the 5 star rating to close out as it is the only way i am listed as successful and credited by the companies ledger

of solutions finished. If you need further assistance, just leave a reply and we will continue as opposed to closing out the question and email

updates between us.

Thank you,

~Franklin

I am not asking how to add a person. I already added myself. I want to remove and replace HER as administrator.

You mean you want to delete her account, correct?

make myself the owner/administrator.

You can delete her entire account by following this:

Method 1: Delete Admin Account on Windows 10 Using Control Panel

As you all know that control panel in an operating system is the main interface through which all the settings, necessary updates, modifications and many more essential tasks can be done. This method would employ the control panel here to do the task. Continue with the steps below to know them in detail:

Step 1.Turn on your PC first, and then go to “Control Panel”.

Step 2.You can click on “View by” icon to change the view to “Small icons”.

Step 3.After doing this click on “User accounts” section.

Step 4.Here click on the “Manage another account” link to see all the user accounts associated with the system.

Step 5.Now; click on the Admin account that you want to delete.

Step 6.Once you have done this, click on the “Delete the account” link.

Step 7.After clicking on the “Delete the account” link, another window would pop up showing a confirmation dialog, asking for your permission to either “Keep Files” or “Delete Files”. If you select “Keep Files”, then all your files and folders will remain intact within the account, but if you choose “Delete Files” the files will be deleted once and for all.

If that doesnt work, you can also remove them by settings.

Method 2: Remove Administrator Account using Settings

This method would employ the settings app pre-installed in Windows 10 operating system. The method is quite simple and easier to put to use, just keep reading to know the steps given below:

Step 1.First open your PC and press the combination “Windows logo key + I” on the keyboard.

Step 2.Once the Settings app window appears, look for the “Accounts” tab and click on it.

Step 3.After clicking on “Accounts” tab, choose “Family and other Accounts” and click on it.

NOTE: In case you are on Enterprise Edition of Windows 10, go to “Accounts” and then to “Other accounts” option.

Step 4.Here in this panel you can track all the admin accounts and the standard user accounts. Though the admin account you have signed in currently would not be shown in the list. That means, if you have got two admin accounts, say for example, “Smith” and “Robert”, you have to sign-in to “Smith” account to delete “Robert” account, and vice-versa.

Step 5.Click on the admin account that you want to delete.

Step 6.After doing this click on “Remove” button afterwards.

Step 7.Later on, when you get to see the following confirmation dialog given below in the image, click on “Delete account and data” to delete the account and all the data from the account.

Once you have completed all the steps as mentioned above, your admin account sign in icon would not appear any longer while turning on your system, then it means you’ve deleted admin account successfully.

If you are not sure and want to keep her files and things like that, you can 'demote' her settings as an admin too.

Method 3: Changing the User Account Type

Unlike other methods mentioned above this method is quite simple and doesn’t require excess knowledge to do the task. Just follow the steps below and your job will be done.

Step 1.Turn on your PC and press “Windows logo key + R” together on the keyboard.

Step 2.Once the “Run” dialog box appears, type in the search field “netplwiz” hit “Enter”.

Step 3.On hitting “Enter”, the “User Accounts” window will pop up.

Step 4.From the “Users Accounts” window click on the “Properties” button.

tep 5.On the following that appears with the name of your Admin account, select the “Group Membership” tab.

Step 6.Under the “Group Membership’ tab, select the account type to “Standard User” instead of “Administrator”.

Step 7.Click “Ok” after finishing the job.

Step 8.At last, click on “Apply” to save the changes you just made.

Thank you. I appreciate your help. I will try Method one.

Ok, please make sure you hit the fifth star to show directions were sent and stop updates/emails etc and the report will go to my

employers as such.

Also, even after rating, if you get stuck, just let me know.

Franklin

Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin