I have received two phone calls telling me they are with

Customer Question
Microsoft and that my computer...
I have received two phone calls telling me they are with Microsoft and that my computer has been compromised in some way. They want me to open my computer files, etc. and I declined. I am not sure if these people were indeed from Microsoft. They also told me not to use my computer for any banking online. What should I do?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: I have a Windows 10. I don't understand the "operating system" question. I am 70 years old and not completely computer literate.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Only an update on my iPhone. It was a mess. Pre update, I was using 4 numbers for my passcode. When I updated, it asked for 6. Therefore, I had to completely re-do my computer. I lost some contacts and some date. I have reinstalled some of those but the only update I did was on my phone.
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Computer
10/18/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 1 month ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert

I look forward to helping you today.

In short, those people were scammers trying their best to scam you out of money. You made the correct choice when you didn't allow them to remotely connect. When they remotely connect, they do their best to fool unsuspecting people into purchasing software and supposed services that are not needed. Often times, they may even blackmail you and hold your data ransom for a very large price.

That is a very common scam that the scammer criminals use. These people will call you, masquerading as Microsoft Techs, HP techs, or some other type of techs. They will then do their best to make you believe that you require their help in the way of remote support, customer support, software support, or something of the like. In the end, if you fall for it, you will be out hundreds of dollars.

If you gave the scammer any banking information, please contact your bank as soon as possible and report the scam so that they can block the payment to them. Also, you may wish to consider contacting your local authorities and reporting this crime, if any payment was made.

Microsoft will confirm that it is a scam. On the following page, they have listed different descriptions of similar scams: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/support-scams

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Please, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Please, send your reply below in the box. After you type your message, click the Send button.

Thank you,
Jason

Jason Jones, Computer Expert