Some scam locks up a page when I try and use my laptop. I…

Customer Question
Some scam locks up...

Some scam locks up a page when I try and use my laptop. I use

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?

Lenovo 2003, Microsoft Edge is my preferred place to work from. A scam says I must call "Microsoft for a tech to help me unlock my computer. Virus is what they say I have, but they have locked my system when I had McAfee protection and trusting Windows 10 to protect me. They want hundreds of dollars....a scam! Make them stop, please.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Guess not...just use it for Facebook news, chatting on here with my kids. I play games and am furious with this thing spoiling my sound, etc. I am told you would not do this to me.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

This lasts a few days or week and then stops harassing me for a few weeks. I refuse to send them hundreds of dollars and will trash the laptop before I pay the crooks from India or South Africa. Help me, please.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer
10/6/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 10 months ago
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Yes, you are right, this is a scam that has been happening a lot recently. Are you able to use the computer at all?