I'm trying to use my MJ for my fax line. I had also asked to…

Customer Question
I'm trying to use...

I'm trying to use my MJ for my fax line. I had also asked to have the line ported. It is(###) ###-####

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

HP

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Realplayer earlier this am

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I just received my MagicJackGo yesterday

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Nathan, Systems Manager replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Systems Manager

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately that is not going to work. MJ, and voip service in general, will not work for a fax machine. The magicjack phone service is very poor quality, with high compression and line noise that is not compatible with analog devices like fax machines. When trying to use them in this situation you would be taking an analog device (fax) converting it to digital, running it through compression which results in lost packets and noise, sending through the internet, then converting back to analog with more loss, and sent to another analog fax device. It simply does not work for fax transmissions.

If you are trying to avoid having a wired landline, I'd suggest either scanning and emailing your items instead of faxing,

or if you must fax consider an alternate electronic fax service, such as efax.com or myfax.com, they will provide you with a fax number and items sent to that number will be emailed to you. For outgoing faxes you can scan the item and send it through their site to the recipient.

My apologies for the news, this is simply a limitation of the mj hardware and service.

Best regards,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?