I was trying to get on the internet and apparently got onto…

Customer Question
Pearl, I was trying...

Pearl, I was trying to get on the internet and apparently got onto a unsecured site. Now I have been told that my IP address is open for any and all to see/use. What do I do now?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

Dell Inspiron

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No,

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just that some fellows in China want $600 to 'uncorrupt' and make my IP address safe again.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Moses C, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 10 months ago
Moses C
Moses C, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer support, thank you for utilizing our service.
dont worry i can take care of the following error and threat.

Can you post a screenshot of the error you get on the screen over here.

No, but essentially it said I had virus 268B3.

if you can tell me the exact error you get on the screen or you may use your cell phone to click a picture of the error screen and paste it here or you may upload to any of the free file upload site and give me the url to download then i can be in a better position to assist you or you can choose remote assistance service then i can remote connect and check it myself on your computer.

My email address is***@******.*** and my IP is 192.168.1.2

how can we share the error details?

The details went away because I shut off the computer because the guy was giving me crap why I had to buy his "fix" to the problem for $600.

Microsoft and Apple do not send unsolicited email messages or make unsolicited phone calls to request personal or financial information or fix your computer. Treat all unsolicited phone calls or pop-ups with skepticism. Do not provide any personal information.

These fake pop-ups are nothing more than a scam, and you should not purchase anything from numbers listed in these alerts.
Whatever you do, please do not call the phone number for support because it is not Microsoft’s but rather a group of scammers waiting to rob you of hundreds of dollars under false pretenses.

The fake Tech Support pages are usually malicious websites which are used by cyber criminals to promote their remote support services. These Tech Support pop-ups will state that you computer is infected and that you need to call their paid support service to remove the infection. This is a bogus claim, and an attempt to make you pay for their malware removal “services”

you can download and run few of the protection tools like anti malware and anti browser hijack free tools from google search and run them on the computer to make sure it absolutely clean.

if you need remote assistance i can remote connect and scan for any infected or hidden spywares to remove them.