I just had a screen pop up that said my computer detected a…

Customer Question
I just had a...

I just had a screen pop up that said my computer detected a virus and that someone may be attempting to get my banking and other info. I was advised to call a 1-800 # when I talked to ***** *****, ID MIC1811 and not shut down my computer or close the window. Is this legit?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your machine? And how long has the screen been an issue?

It just popped up. my computer is an HP w2338H

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No. I had just deleted cookies and my browsing history because I haven't been able to get into my suddenlink email account.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer
10/2/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Mr.Med, Computer Enthusiast replied 10 months ago
Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, I'm Mr.med. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry this has happened to you. This is a popular scam that has been going on. Please DO NOT call or let them have access to your computer, as they are probably installing spyware and other malicious items. Report them to the Internet Crime Bureau here : http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx and Restart your computer.

If you have a moment please rate my answer by clicking on one of the stars, Positive rating area appreciated.

Let me know if you need further assistance

Thank you

Do you still need help with this issue please?