When people send me a Word Doc or a pdf I can only get the…

Customer Question
When people send me...

When people send me a Word Doc or a pdf I can only get the first page of the document along with a message saying "Whoops..."

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Word are you using?

Macintosh OSX 10.9.5

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No, the thing is barely limping along so I hate to add more to it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

It also has a difficult time keeping up with my typing when I am typing an e-mail so this little grey symbol comes on and sometimes it just starts the spinning wheel of death.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
9/29/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Samuel NetEngineer, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
Samuel NetEngineer
Samuel NetEngineer, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am one of the experts that is going to help you today. Please give me a moment to look over your question so I don't miss anything.

How old is your Mac computer?

At least 10 years old.

Okay, what program do you use to open Documents and PDFs?

I'm sorry, I don't know. I am using my gmail. I thought I was talking to google mail as that is where the problem is I think. I see I am probably being scammed? Is that right? Are you not working for google mail?
It is probably Adobe Reader.

I do not work for Google mail.

This is a remote tech support website, we help customers with technical issues because many large companies no longer have customer support centers.

I have to go to a meeting--no more time today. I want to talk to google mail so cancel whatever charges you have made to my credit card. Thanks anyway. Cindy
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Cindy, you cant talk to google or google mail directly. They are a free email service, and they do not have a technical support department that you can contact, whether you pay or not. So if you want help, we may be your best bet.

Now, would you like to try our service and see if we can help, or do you want me to send you the refund link now?

Okay, if you have any free advice, that would be fine.

I cant give you free advice, what I can do is give you advice and you can choose to ask for a refund or submit a rating. First, here is the refund link

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

Now here is my free advice. On a ten year old mac, you cant be running any new versions of browsers. pdf reader proggrams, nearly anything at all. first for good measure perform a pram reset

Shut down the computer.. Then, press and hold the Option, Command ( apple key ) P and R

Hold down those keys and keep holding them and start the mac. It should make the startup chime sound twice, then release those keys and it should attempt to startup.

Next try booting in safe mode, that may help

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html

With that being said, running the firefox browser and using it to access your mail is your best bet, if you dont have it, download it.

There are probably dozens of other steps you can do, but all of these are pretty much stopgaps. A mac that old is going to increasingly age and not be compatible with modern websites, programs, etc.

http://amzn.to/2x4flZJ

At some point, youll have to consider upgrading to a newer mac like the retina model above.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating to show I was able to assist you, without a 5 star rating submitted I am unpaid and unaccredited for my time and expertise.

Thank you,
Dustin S. Sr. Technician and Former Network Switching Systems Operator . Maintainer 31F1P