I am the author of a book titled "Decapitating the Union:

Customer Question
Hello Andy: Technician's Assistant:...

Hello Andy:

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

Hello Andy:

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Hello Andy: I am the author of a book titled "Decapitating the Union: Jefferson Davis, Judah Benjamin and the Plot to Assassinate Lincoln". It was originally published by McFarland & Company, Inc., and released in March, 2015. My relationship with them terminated in 2016 and the book was republished by Morris Gilbert Publishing Company through the agency of CreateSpace, and re-released in December, 2016. The republished book is referred to as the second edition, which has some textual revisions and a new cover. I have arranged with Amazon for the removal of the old (first) edition and its replacement with the second, revised, edition. At present, when someone Googles "Decapitating the Union" he or she is directed to the old, first, edition, which shows the old cover and notice that the book is no longer available. Amazon has advised me that for a user to Google "Decapitating the Union" and be directed to the second edition, you, Google, must make a change, namely remove all reference to the old edition, whose ISBN number is: 978-0786497461, and replace it with reference to the revised edition, whose ISBN number is: 978-1541095380. When you have made this change, a user who Googles the title of my book (the first three words are enough) will be taken directly to the revised edition, which, of course, includes the new cover. (The old cover has John Wilkes Booth on the right; the new one has him on the left.) Please make the requested change. Amazon advised me that their change will be made within 72 hours. You may need to coordinate with them; I don't know. In any case, please advise me when you have made the requested and necessary change. This is very important to me, because any showing of the old edition with a notice that the book is no longer available is, of course, damaging to my sales. My email address is:***@******.***. My telephone numbers are:(###) ###-####(Home) and(###) ###-####(Cell). Thank you.---John c. Fazio

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

I am waiting for a reply from Andy.Thank you.John C, Fazio

Andy is a automated assistant. How can I help you?

Thanks

Kris

Kris:See my letter above, directed to "Andy". I have explained my problem in great detail and prefer not to have to compose it all over again. I am waiting for your reply. Thank you. *****
Kris: Are we communicating? I am still waiting.
Kris:
Do you not understand the problem? Please at least let me know you are working on it and will get back to me soon. Thanks.---John

Can you give me the amazon link please?

Kris: I'm not sure what you mean by the Amazon link, but I believe you must be referring to the paragraphs that are brought up when one Googles "Decapitating the Union". The very first one, at the top, is the link to the Amazon entry for the book. Under this link are other links to entries for other on-line book sellers, etc. If a user puts his/her curser on the first link (the Amazon link) and clicks, the Amazon entry for the old edition comes up. The cover on the left is the old cover, showing John Wilkes Booth on the right. There is notice there that the book is no longer available. Under the notice there is reference to a new edition of the book. If one puts the curser on the new edition, he or she will be brought to the new edition, which has a cover showing John Wilkes Booth on the left. The cover and all information relating to the first edition will be removed by Amazon within 72 hours; only the cover and all information relating to the second, revised, edition will remain, but unless you make a change (which is why I gave you the ISBN numbers), a user will be taken to a blank page advising him/her that the book is no longer available. That doesn't help much. What we want is for someone to Google the book, be taken to the Amazon link, and then be taken to the the newer, second edition, of the book. I hope I have made myself clear.

OK let me opt out for antoehr expert to assist you

Thanks

Kris

Kris:OK.John
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 7 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Do you still need assistance?

David:Yes, very much so. My problem has not been solved. Amazon told me that I have to contact Google to completely solve the problem; that they can only solve part of it. Contacting Google is like trying to squeeze blood from a stone. Please read my foregoing correspondence and explanations. Then please get back to me.Thank you.John (C. Fazio)
David:I am still waiting for you to get back to me. So far neither Andy nor Kris has helped me. What about you?John

John,

I have reviewed the discussions above and am currently working on a solution that involves the use of the Google "Webmaster" tools.

I understand that time is short.

David:Thank you. Waiting to hear.The goal is: a user Googles "Decapitating the Union", is then taken to a list of paragraphs that reference the book, one of which (the top one, at present) is the Amazon reference. The user than puts his/her curser on the Amazon reference, clicks and is taken directly to the new, revised edition of the book, not the old one. The new, revised, edition is the one with J.W. Booth on the left side of the cover. The old one has him on the right side of the cover.Thank you.John

John,

Google offers tools that can be used to correct entries in their search indexes. The trouble with using the tools is that only the site owner (in this case Amazon) can use the tools and make the changes. The other issue is that since the Google search update is designed to be automated, making changes using the tools will speed the update process but not within a 72 hour window.

A solution that satisfies your time frame would be for Amazon to redirect connection requests for the first book web page to the second book web page. I understand that they do not want to make that change - however I know people that work at Amazon and it is possible for them to make that change.

I realize that this is not the answer you want and need, but hopefully Amazon will agree to add a redirect to the first book page which would instantly resolve the issue.

Thanks,

David.

David:Thank you for the follow-up. I will contact Amazon (infinitely easier than contacting Google) and request the change you speak of. I will let you know the result. It is not necessary to make the change I have requested within 72 hours; it can be made anytime, but the sooner the better, of course. Don't lose contact with me, please. We need to solve this problem.John

John,

Yes, I will continue to be available for further assistance.

Thanks,

David.

David:Thanks. I am waiting to hear from Amazon. Then I will contact you.John

John,

Thank you for letting me know. I will check back.

David.

David L
David L
David L, Systems Engineer