I just got a message to call Microsoft because a virus may…

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a message to call Microsoft because a virus may have infected my computer and is sending out my credit card info. There was a voice attached to it telling me to call an 866 number. I'm assuming this is bogus information but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

Toshiba Satellite C55-A; Microsoft 10 (is this what you mean?)

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Maybe a couple of weeks ago but nothing lately.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I know my name is ***** ***** dark web.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 10 months ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. Yes, that is certainly a scam, so please do not call that number and do not follow any instruction in it.

Does this popup message issue still occur when you shut down / restart the computer? Or does it only occur when you open the Internet? etc.?
Is the Internet still working on your computer?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please try the following fix:

1. Close all programs if possible.
  2. Disconnect the power cord(s) from your internet modem / router device(s) for now.
  3. Shut down your computer.
    ; (Note: If it does not let you shut down your computer, then press and hold the Power on / off button on your computer for about 10 seconds, then it should power off.)
  4. Turn your computer back on.
  5. Open the Internet program on your computer.
    - It should display connection error or something similar.
  6. Close all the Internet pages / tabs / windows.
  7. Re-connect the power cord(s) to your internet modem / router device(s).
  8. Wait a few minutes.
  9. Open the Internet on your computer, and if prompted to restore, do not restore, but cancel / close it.
  10. Then see if the popup message is gone now.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

The popup message issue usually occurs when you accidentally click on a bad website link or advertisement, or a bad email attachment. My solution above should resolve the issue.

- Please always ignore any popup message (or phone call) that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

- For more information about this kind of scam, please click on the website below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

For more information about this kind of scam, please click on the website below:

How is it going? Have you tried my solution above yet? Is there still any issue with your computer?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.