I Just had my computer locked up, and was told to call a…

Customer Question
I Just had my...

I Just had my computer locked up, and was told to call a certain number, I got someone who wanted me to buy some software, can I find out from you if he was legit?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?

Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

HP

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

What is the charge to talk tohim?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 10 months ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. That was a fake popup message. It is a scam, so please do not call that number, and do not follow any instruction in it.

- Does the popup message still occur when shutting down / restarting the computer? Or does it only occur when you open the Internet? etc.?

- Is the Internet still working on your computer?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

If your computer is still locked up, please try the following fix:

1. Close all programs if possible.
  2. Disconnect the power cord(s) from your internet modem / router device(s) for now.
  3. Shut down your computer.
    ; (Note: If it does not let you shut down your computer, then press and hold the Power on / off button on your computer for about 10 seconds, then it should power off.)
  4. Turn your computer back on.
  5. Open the Internet program on your computer.
    - It should display connection error or something similar.
  6. Close all the Internet pages / tabs / windows.
  7. Re-connect the power cord(s) to your internet modem / router device(s).
  8. Wait a few minutes.
  9. Open the Internet on your computer, and if prompted to restore, do not restore, but cancel / close it.
  10. Then see if the popup message is gone now.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

The popup message issue usually occurs when you accidentally click on a bad website link or advertisement or a bad email attachment. Using my solution above should resolve the issue. Please always ignore any popup message (or phone call) that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

- For more information about this kind of scam, please click on the website below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further; we can schedule a time. Thank you.

How is it going? Have you tried my solution above yet? Is there still any issue with your computer?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.