I received a message from, supposedly, from Microsoft that…

Customer Question
I received a message...

I received a message from, supposedly, from Microsoft that my computer - especially Windows - has been affected by a virus and spyware - the phone number that listed was -(###) ###-####is this legitimate? When I called this number the guy didn't seem to know exactly what I was talking about so I'm wondering if this is some type spam. I told him nothing - even my name - and my phone number does not show up since it is a blocked number to all callers.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

It is a DELL - I am 79 years old and don't know what "the operating system" means.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

My computer has a new hard drive and lots of things were changed- from Windows Vista to Windows 7

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Tech Support Specialist: John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 10 months ago
John Lohr
John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Microsoft will never call you about viruses or spyware and it is indeed a scam.

Did you allow them access to your computer at all?