Louie, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I got an old gateway desktop I am trying to get working. It

I got an old gateway desktop I am trying to get working. It powers on and the cd drives work. When the gateway screen appears after that I am getting a line up in the corner blinking? I put a brand new hard drive in and I got a brand new cd drive installed externally and it notices it in the bios.What could be wrong? I am trying to install windows 10 on it and have the cd for windows in it. The computer meets the requirements for windows 10. I tried a usb flash drive with windows 10. I tried about everything and still getting the cursor line with a black screen,

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, the above describe "...blinking...cursor line..." would indicate that the system is unable to locate a bootable device.

Have you checked / changed the boot priority in the BIOS? ...to boot first from the CD or USB?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Yeah I tried boot priority already and I have also an external dvd I hooked up and it doesn't want to began reading on startup something is wrong.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
It has me puzzled Louie.

I understand.

A possibility to consider is that the USB ports are not enable at boot up.

Or is the "...new cd drive installed externally ..." connected by USB and shows signs of power when booting?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
if I open the dvd drive it has complete power on startup Louie.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
This Gateway is GT5656 Model

Have you tried re-installing/using the original CD drive? ...using it as a boot device?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
the original CD is still connected louie and works.

The Windows 10 disc in the original CD drive?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I will put it in now. I will have to change boot priority again if you want me to use it?

Yes please; i.e. Win10 install disc in original CD drive and set this as the boot priority.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok 1 second please be right back
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I am still getting the cursor line and I picked the dvd drive on the desktop to run windows 10. not working

Did the BIOS detected the new HDD?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Not sure how do you figure out that Louie?

After the CD Drive is shown as the first bootable device, next in line would be the name/model of the new HDD. Thsi would indicate that the Gateway GT565 has detected both the original CD drive and the new HDD.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
it found it
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
It found the western digital I installed.

Interesting as it appears the CD is not reading the Win10 disc.

Can we try the "...usb flash drive with windows 10..." and ensure that the Gateway GT565 would boot from the USB/flashdrive?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Model is GT-5656 sorry if I made a typo before if I did. Let me see if I can find the flash drive.

...when able.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Give me a second to find the flash drive. Did you want me to set boot priority to flash drive?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
ok got the flash drive Louie i am going to set boot priority
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Still not working Louie this has me puzzled.

These results would be indicative of a potential motherboard issue.

Have you tried a RESET of the MB?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
No not yet. How do you reset the motherboard?

Consider a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: there normally would be a jumper for this purpose. Alternatively, remove the CMOS battery for an extended period of time.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok I will take the battery out. I think I see the jumpers because I have done a reset on a brand new computer.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Can you start the computer without battery in it or what???

Yes it can be started but it would not save any of the BIOS settings hence Date/Time would have to be set every time it is booted.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok I did take the battery out and the screen is the same still.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
you think it is a motherboard issue then?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok it did something different when I moved the jumper
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
the screen was different

Apologies; sluggish Internet.

...screen was different?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
yeah it says something about the cmos and hard drive list.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
now it says update success
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
update new data to DMI.

Please re-install the battery and set the date/time.

...then go through attempt installing Win10 as above.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
do I put the jumper back in its original place Louie??

Yes please.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Back to the same. =( . I moved the jumper over 1 pin before and the screen changed. then the screen read "update data to DMI" update success it said.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
when the cmos screen came about i hit F1 to continue.

Let's step back;

• disconnect the old CD drive;
  • disconnect the old HDD;
  • disconnect the new HDD;
  • remove the new external CD;
  • attempt to boot from the Win10 USB flashdrive.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
No. Still nothing.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I can take a picture of the screen maybe and show it to you when I move the jumper if that would work?

With the old CD drive, old HDD and USB flash drive remove, connect the new external CD drive. Ensure BIOS is set to this bootable device.

Boot Win10 disc using the external CD drive.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok give me a second.

...no prob

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
nothing still the blank screen with the blinking line.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I am not sure if I did the jumper reset right Louie??
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
You there Louie?

The RESET was done right particularly if the jumper is now back into its original place.

That it does not boot from either USB Win10 would be a warning sign.

That it does not even from its original CD drive + Win10 disc actually confirms it.

I'm inclined to suspect a motherboard issue.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok thanks.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
its not letting leave you a rating??
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
me* sorry about the typo
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
it says rating required but its not letting me leave you a rating.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround as it is a motherboard/hardware issue; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
its ok about the news. I appreciate your help and left you a 5 star rating thanks Louie

Appreciate the rating.

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to share the information.