I can't load some applications on my HP and an error message…

I can't load some...

I can't load some applications on my HP and an error message comes up saying: the application has failed because its side by side configuration is incorrect. The error message list that the problem is in my C drive.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, how often have you been getting this particular message?

Its been about a week?

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes some updates don't work because that message pops up

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

When I try to open up Kaspersky and any of it's related apps (Safe Money) it doesn't open. Just sits and spins. I've talked to them and they thinks its a hardware issue.

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I have some ideas as to what the problem might be.

If you wish I can try remotely connecting to your computer - with your approval only - and see to getting a way worked out through this problem, for a small additional fee.

If you would rather not, then I can also instruct you toward a solution, somewhat more slowly.

Let me know which approach you would prefer, and I will help you as needed.

Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Please take control of my computer and keep me informed on costs. Thanks

Please start your side of the remote control session - which cannot begin until you download and run the Elsinore app from this link:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=c1272a6a-40b0-43ee-9dab-8ed55860034d

and I will join you, and open a Notepad window on your computer, as soon as you do that. Thanks.

it wouldn't run. that error came up again

I'm sorry to hear that. If I cannot connect, I don't think there will be any charge for connecting, then. Would you be willing to try the Java form of the remote control app? it can be tried from here:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=c1272a6a-40b0-43ee-9dab-8ed55860034d&Type=Java

that error came up again! any other solutions?

If it is the same error each time, for any number of apps, and if it always mentions 'side by side configuration', then you may have a problem that requires an update.

Have you run Windows Update recently, by hand, from e.g. Internet Explorer, or just

Windows Update

as an app? try that, if it runs, Scan for updates, and if it finds updates, download and install all the 'Critical' or 'Important' updates - the 'Optional' ones can be left for later!

Let me know how that goes... if it fails, there are other things to try.

Ive only tried downloading windows update from the computer not internet explorer. do I go to windows website?

No... try it through the Tools and/or Security (or Tools - Security ) - Windows Update

option in the Internet Explorer menus. If the menus don't show up, press the Alt key to see them, at the top of the I.E. window.

Its updating something
2017-09 cumulative update for windows 10 version 1703 for x64 based systems
it's only on 3% completed and taking forever. You still there?

Good. That's good! I hope it updates thoroughly.

Are any other updates seen?

And, is your Windows version, Windows 10? go to

Start

Control Panel

System and Security

System

to see the Windows version. Also note from that display, whether it is 32-bit System Type, or 64-bit, please?

I'm still here... sometimes updates take a while.

windows 10 home

Good. If the Windows Update does not proceed by and by, don't interrupt it, please. And also, there is something else to try, once that is out of the way.

Does your Windows 10 Home have any anti-virus or firewall or security software? (You can tell in Control Panel by searching for 'check security status'.)

Windows firewall, windows defender and I have Kaspersky as my security too, but that doesn't open up
its still on 3% complete. is it stuck?

Is that Downloading 3 % complete, or Installing 3 % complete?

The downloading can be interrupted... the installing cannot, or your computer may crash, badly.

If Kaspersky isn't opening up, does it at least have an icon in the 'System Tray' area at lower right?

Kaspersky is not in the system tray to the right. preparing to install 10%

Another thing to do is, to press Ctrl-Alt-Del, then choose 'Task Manager', and see whether the Disk activity is 100 %, or low, or what... and the CPU usage also, similarly.

What does it show?

Do not interrupt a 'preparing to install', and if it gets above 10 %, well and good.

It may take time - esp. if CPU or Disk usages as shown in Task Manager are high.

After that - and a restart of the PC! - I will have another method to suggest also.

CPU 3% Disk 2%
the update wants me to restart the computer
should I restart?

Good! if the update is complete, by all means, approve the restart. You may rejoin me here and get more advice as needed:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/ap8qt-can-t-load-applications-hp-error-message.htmlhttp://www.justanswer.com/computer/ap8qt-can-t-load-applications-hp-error-message.html

im back

Good... do apps start now?

no. Kaspersky isn't located in the bar in the lower right corner. In the lower corner it does say CPU 6% memory 41% disk 100% network 0

That's fine so far.

Can you start e.g. Kaspersky, or Safe Money, etc?

no Kaspersky doesn't load. it only spins

OK. Have you seen any Side By Side errors yet, since the update?

I suggest you try this, for such errors:

First, go to

Control Panel

then to Programs and Features

and look for programs named

“Microsoft Visual C++ XXXX Redistributable”

where XXXXX can be anything, and note down, on paper, the names of each of them, exactly and in full.

Then select that program(s) then choose to Uninstall it/them... if there is more than one of these, select them and uninstall them one at a time.

Then after that, restart the computer again, and go to

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

and download the replacements for those just-uninstalled Visual C++ programs.

And install those. And see if that improves the side by side error situation.

Error 1719 came up and I couldn't uninstall the Microsoft visual etc

OK. I think you'll have to restart in Safe Mode, and then it should uninstall, hopefully.

Do you need guidance as to how to restart in Safe Mode?

guide me so I don't mess this up
Can you remote assist me in Safe Mode?

OK, you have Windows 10.

Try this:

Open the Start menu and click or tap on the Power button. Then, while keeping the Shift key pressed, click or tap on Restart.

That should start you up in Safe Mode - choose Safe Mode, if you see a 'selection' screen with a highlight bar across it, which can be moved up and down with the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard, and the selected option can be activated by pressing the RETURN key on the keyboard.

Then, when in Safe Mode and logged in to Windows - a minimal version of it - try to do the uninstalls:

go to

Control Panel

then to Programs and Features

and look for programs named

Then after that, restart the computer again... let me know when that's done, please.

Where did you go Russell? Havent heard from you.

Again:

OK, you have Windows 10.

Try this:

go to

Control Panel

then to Programs and Features

and look for programs named

i couldn't open up IE in Safe Mode. This is really frustrating.

Safe Mode is a restart mode of the whole computer, not of Internet Explorer.

In Safe Mode, you cannot use a web browser. But you can uninstall the C++ apps I recommended you uninstall - and then after that, restart the computer (back into normal mode), in which you can then access Internet Explorer.

When I tried to uninstall in Safe Mode this popup came up: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.
what next?
Still there?

That's not good news. I'm sorry to say, this will have to be tried:

search for Command Prompt

and right-click on the found search, and choose 'Run As Administrator'.

In the Command Prompt window, type in this command

sfw /scannow

and wait for that to complete - it may take 1/2 hour, or more.

Then restart.

Let me know what happens.

it says sfw is not recognized as an internal or external command, etc
I'm tired and ready for bed. Can I get some type of refund and we call it quits?

I'm willing to continue tomorrow, would that do?

I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

You may return here tomorrow at

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/ap8qt-can-t-load-applications-hp-error-message.html

at any time you want to resume work on this problem with my advice and assistance.