My friend just bought a new computer, set it up (including…

Customer Question
My friend just bought...

My friend just bought a new computer, set it up (including password, which he promptly forgot) and turned it off. Now he wants to logon and the computer keeps telling him to come here (while not letting him on his computer. What do we do?

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?

It didn't say anything about email. We will check.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

It is a new computer and he only set it up and has installed anything.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 9 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

If your friend is unable to login, since the computer it new probably the best thing to do would be to try to do a factory reset on the machine and set it back up from scratch.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series.

Okay, thank you. Give me just a few minutes to do some research for you.

Please stand by.

Okay, thank you.

You may need to download and use the Dell OS Recovery tool, but I would like to try a couple of other things first. Are you near that computer right now?

Okay, the first thing I'd like you to do is to turn the computer all the way off.

Then once it's fully down, I want you to hold the Shift key down and press the power button. As soon as the computer starts booting up repeatedly start pressing the F8 key.

Tell me if this takes you to a special menu.

Still with me? Any luck?

it takes me to a second screen selection menu.
don't ask me why

Okay, do you see something that says Advanced Repair Options?

If not, what do you see?

4 options; project to a connected screen.
1.pc only
2. duplicate
3. extend
4 2nd screen only

Hmm, okay.

Just so I understand correctly, at this point you are not able to login to the machine at all, is that correct?

Okay, do you happen to have a USB flash drive on hand?

i have a flash drive

Okay, give me a couple of minutes to get some information for you.

how are you going to connect to it, we can't right here and it doesn't know my wifi?
It is not connected to anything.

Okay, thanks for your patience. The remote support option is a automated option from the system. You can feel free to ignore it.

If you're unable to login to the machine, the only thing you can do is to perform a factory reset on the computer. This will allow you to set it up again, recreate the account and set a new password. It will be as if you just pulled the machine out of the box for the first time.

To do this, you will need to use the Dell OS Recovery Tool. You can find the download link as well as full instructions for using this tool at the following link:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/ba/en/babsdt1/drivers/osiso/recoverytool/

It's pretty straightforward stuff.

Your only other option would be to return the computer and have them either reset it for you or exchange it for another unit.

Let me know what other questions you have on this. I will standby.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.

Still with me? Do you have any further questions on this?

You seem to have stepped away from your computer. Please remember to rate the answer for me before you close this page out.