I was contacted buy a person claming to work for microsoft…

Customer Question
I was contacted buy...

I was contacted buy a person claming to work for microsoft software support and said my security key had expired and they would update it for 3 years i gave them remote access to my computer then when I asked them how i was to pay for it they said buy 2 i tunes cards at 100.00 a piece I then thought something was wrong but sent them the cards anyway then they asked for 4 50.00 cards because the other ones did not work with my computer I did not do this and when I called them back and asked them for the address they said they worked for microsoft and then hung up when I called them back the line was busy. I am worried about my files being corrupted and my info stolen. What do I do?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

Windows 10 dell inspiron lap top where do I find the model number

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No just what they updated today maybe 1 0r 2 from Dell in the last couple of weeks

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just what to do

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Computer
9/23/2017
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 11 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

You definitely were not dealing with Microsoft. There are a number of scams going around right now where you will be contacted by someone claiming to work for Microsoft when in fact they have no connection with the company. Microsoft does not contact customers for support; they wait for customers to contact them.

The main thing to be concerned about is whether or not they left any remote software on your computer that would allow them to get back into it. You say it was today that they connected to your machine?

Are you still with me? You can reply back via the box below.