I am still trying to get into my laptop but am having

Customer Question
trouble because of the password. If...
I am still trying to get into my laptop but am having trouble because of the password.
If another specialist is available and can help, I would appreciate it. I have tried account.live.com/reset/password ***** have not had success.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer
9/20/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Robert M., Consultant replied 10 months ago
Robert M., Consultant

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

I am Rob. I would be happy to help you

if you are using windows 8 or 10 the reset on the live account can work

BUT only if the following are both true

1. The account on the computer is set to the ms account. that is your user name on the computer is actually your email address. windows 8 and 10 try to default to this but you can get around it when you first start the windows account

2. the computer having the issue is hooked up and connecting to the internet.

If those are true you still need to know your security information to reset the password ***** once that is done the new password ***** work on the computer as well

If those are not true then you need another way to do it.

I can get you some information on a free hack disk that will do it for you.

but you need a working computer that can write to a cd or flash drive and of course the flash drive or cd to write to

you basically download the software and create a bootable cd or flash drive and then boot the bad computer from the cd or flash drive you create

then it will allow you to remove the password ***** the admin account or your user account.

this is the utility that i use. It is free and has ALWAYS worked for me on any version of windows

https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

but its not the easiest thing in the world to run

this one is a bit easier to use but it costs 20 bucks.

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-password-genius.html

there is a free trial version that probably will not actually fix the password ***** will let you know whether it is able to before you buy it.

the pogostick site does not work for Windows10

it is sold by another company as working on win 10 but it is the same program you get for free here. bootleggers sell it

i am pretty sure that i have used it on 10. for sure 8 and they are not much different in the guts of the program

HAVE YOU TRIED IT?

or did it just not list win 10 as a usable op system?

it is a free program and they dont update the documentation very often

if you have not tried it you should please

there may also be issues booting anything from a win 10 machine if you dont turn off the secure boot. that forces it to boot from the hard drive rather than a cd or flash drive

It does not include windows 10 or xp and this computer used to have xp
I don't want to go thru the process and find another failure
You couldn't access my computer because I can't get past the need for a password.

I do not at all understand what you are saying

you need to use a DIFFERENT computer to create the disk

then boot the bad computer from that disk

at what point do you have a problem with that ?

I'll let it reset for now and try microsoft's site tomorrow. Thank you

ok. please post back and let me know if that works

If you want to accept the phone call i can run through it with you while i am on the phone or on my computer

and i can probably do a much better job of explaining how the reset disk would work and how to create one

but you would of course need another computer that can write to a dvd or a flash drive and the dvc/cd or flashdrive