Is there anyone that can help me with a Speco surveillance…

Customer Question
Is there anyone that can...
Is there anyone that can help me with a Speco surveillance DVR model D16VT? I purchased a used unit on Ebay and the seller does not know the ADMIN password. Need help resetting it.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Computer
9/20/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 11 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

I just purchased a used unit on ebay. I'm trying to set it up.

Can you try no password?

It's usually ADMIN and a blank password

Nope, Says incorrect password. I've tried 0000, 1111, 1234, and 4321.

Okay can you give me the serial number please?

Thanks

Kris

It is***********

Try 0092

Nope. Incorrect password.

OK does it have a password ***** on the back I can use this to look it up?

I don't understand. What are you looking for? Where would I find it?

There should be a sticker on the back with a encrypted password, do you see it?

Should be blue.

No sticker with a code on it. Only thing on it is a white sticker that has model, serial number, and a UPC code (030519010962). Are we sure we're talking about the same model (D16VT8TB)? I've looked at other Speco VT models on ebay and don't see a blue sticker on any of them.

OK and I'm assuming you did a factory reset?

Please describe factory reset procedure.

Try user1 and password *****

That got me into user 1. However it says I don't have playback privileges. Say admin has to allow access.

Does it allow you to reset it from there?

No. I tried to restore system defaults but says admin login required.

Is there a reset pin on the back?

No.

I'm sorry but I don't have any other ideas.

Let me opt out for another expert to cast en eye over.. you will be emailed when they respond.

Ok.
Tech Support Specialist: Robert M., Consultant replied 11 months ago
Robert M., Consultant

if you can get to the setup config menu there is a reset to factory defaults that might work

otherwise i would call speco

1-***-***-****

they should have some sort of answer.

You need admin password ***** restore defaults.

yeah i was afraid of that.

it is a security device. If it had an easy way to get in without a password ***** would not be very secure.

I think that you may have to contact speco technologies

they make the device and must have some way of dealing with it

1-***-***-****

otherwise you can always file to return it for a refund through ebay. the device is useless if the seller cant get you the admin password

1. Find the item in My eBay under Purchase History and select Return this item from the More actions drop-down menu.

2. Select the reason for the return. Depending on the seller's return policy, we may put you in touch with the seller directly.

sorry that there does not seem to be much more that i can do

But at least i got you some info for the places that can help or get you a refund

If that is in anyway helpful i would really appreciate if you could take a moment to get me a good rating

that is the only way that i can get any credit from this website and i try to do this for my living

thank you :)

Tech Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 11 months ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hello Donald,

I see you have requested an answer from another expert.

What you need to do in this case, if you wish to keep and use the DVR, is either obtain the username and password ***** the previous owner, or file a refund with eBay.