Just hooked up my son's new PC and it will not connect to…

Customer Question
Just hooked up my...

Just hooked up my son's new PC and it will not connect to the Ethernet. How do I connect this PC?

Technician's Assistant: Have you tested the connections by doing a ping utility test?

No

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No It is a brand new PC just out of the box and hour ago.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 10 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

It is a brand new PC...just took it out of the box an hour ago

Are you connecting it from the Network card to the router. What port on the router are you using?

straight to Ethernet in bedroom. not Wi-Fi connection

What port on the router?

this Ethernet connection works on both of our laptops. new PC won't connect

What port on the router is this connected too?

NOT CONNECTED TO A ROUTER

Were is it connected too?

The house is pre-wired for internet. I just plugged in the Ethernet cable to the wall.

And were does the cable in the wall go to? The router?

What port on the router..?

Seriously?
THE HOUSE...IS PRE-WIRED FOR INTERNET. I AM NOT TRYING TO CONNECT TO ANY ROUTER. NO ROUTER IS BEING USED TO MAKE INTERNET CONNECTION. I PLUGGED THE ETHERNET CABLE INTO THE OUTLET, AND THE OTHER END IS STRAIGHT INTO THE PC. NO ROUTER

The house is not just wired for internet, it all needs to go to one central place and then connect to a router.

The wallports still need to get to the internet.

Ok, when I moved into this house, I did not have a router. I plugged the Ethernet cable into the wall, and PRESTO! I was connected to the internet. There is a router downstairs now, but it won't make a Wi-Fi connection either. All I need to know is how to get this PC to connect using the same Ethernet cable I use for my laptop. Works for the laptop...not the PC. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Well I can assure you these ports connect to your router one way or another. Your router/modem is your connection to the internet.

Can you plug the Laptop in and turn the wireless off and tell me If it works.

If it does, I will give you tests to run on the Computer.