AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 10 yrs of electronics support and software development.
57442719

I called amazon to give them a new credit card number. and

I called amazon to give them a new credit card number. and they told me that my computer was infected by some other person and they were controlling my computer. as this progressed I was told that they could fix for $340.00 PLUS TAX AND I HUNG UP ON THEM.What now????
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Dell, Windows 7
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: only those from microsoft
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I just went thru this problem and I called on microsoft to help me

Hey there! my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I will do all I can to provide you with excellent service and answer your questions as quickly as possible. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• The offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept a request for one if you wish, but you do not have to.
  • Please keep this browser open, so that we do not lose contact. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will continue helping you until your question is 100% answered, please ask as many follow up questions as you want to.

First off, you made the right choice hanging up. The number you called WAS NOT AMAZON, and was a very common internet scam. Millions of people a year fall for it. If you want to update your credit card on Amazon, you will NEVER be asked to do that over the phone, you simply go to your account on Amazon.com and choose to change your billing info.

Secondly, do not ever call phone numbers you see on a pop-up on your PC. Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc., will NEVER ask you to call them to update anything.

If you have any follow up questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Please take two seconds to rate my service before you leave today at the top of this page. Remember it is my service you are rating and nothing else. If you feel my service has been anything but excellent, or you have follow up questions, please let me know before rating :)

Bookmark this link to ask me questions directly in the future: http://bit.ly/AnswersByEric

I disconnected from your PC, as I was able to bring you back to this question.

Use the reply box below this, to continue following up with me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'M WITH YOU,PROCEED

Please read the answer I gave you, above, and then ask me any follow up questions you have.

This was what I wrote:

First off, you made the right choice hanging up. The number you called WAS NOT AMAZON, and was a very common internet scam. Millions of people a year fall for it. If you want to update your credit card on Amazon, you will NEVER be asked to do that over the phone, you simply go to your account on Amazon.com and choose to change your billing info. Secondly, do not ever call phone numbers you see on a pop-up on your PC. Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc., will NEVER ask you to call them to update anything.

If you need secure remote assistance, please tell me what it is you would like assistance with, as your original question has been answered above, and does not need remote assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
WHAT IS GOING ON???DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG??

Not that I am aware of, you did nothing wrong. You asked an initial question about calling a number to change billing details with Amazon, I answered you explaining how it was a scam (scroll up to read it). If you need more assistance, please let me know what you need.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
IS MY COMPUTER FIXED????

Sir/Ma'am, you have not told me what was wrong with your computer, or what you want me to fix. You asked a question about being told to call a number, and I explained that was a scam. Again, if you need something fixed on your PC, you need to tell me what is wrong and what needs to be fixed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
WHAT IS THE STATUS OF MY MACHINE AT THIS POINT??? DO I NEED ANYTHING FURTHER??

Unless you provide me with any other specific issues you are having, that you would like me to resolve, then your computer is fine and needs nothing else. Please remember to NEVER call the phone numbers asking you to contact them to update info, NONE of the major companies will ever ask you to do that.