Software 6 on my new Dell laptop/ Windows 10. The process…

Customer Question
Software 6 on my...

Software 6 on my new Dell laptop/ Windows 10. The process does not seem to recognize the dongle. Is it possible to install my old software?

Technician's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I just started 30 min ago. My other computer smoked so I had to get rid of it. I do have my 6 dongle and the cd.

Technician's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, unfortunately!

Technician's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm not terribly computer savvy but have installed software over the years successfully.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/17/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Just now: new computer with Windows 7. Bernina Software 6 worked fine on old laptop.

What's the make and model of the dongle?

Thanks

Kris

correct to Windows 10. No thanks. Just tell me how to do it. thank you.

Can you give me the make and model and the software this is for?

H027419 W 5578

What does the dongle do?

Thanks

Kris

software is for Bernina Embroidery Software 6

Okay I am going to opt out for another expert to assist you

It allows my laptop to design, copy, manipulate embroidery design files. I understand the dongle is a security key to prevent others from using and/or copying the software.
Tech Support Specialist: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

OK. Can you confirm for me, that the dongle is a USB plug-in device?

And is your Bernina (or other) software installed on the computer?

dongle is usb plug in device. the software is NOT installed; I'm trying to install it since I had to get a new computer. The dongle must be used whenever the software is used, not just with the install. I've had it for several years.

OK... so you reach a certain point in the install, and then ... ? what shows up that involves the dongle at that point?

And if your computer is Windows PC, and if the dongle is plugged in, can your PC 'see' the dongle, as a disk-drive type device, added to your

ThisPC

or

listings of disk drive devices?

I get to a place that says something about dongle update. then nothing happens. The PC does recognize it and says device is there.

OK, good. What is the exact phrase / words used, in the place that says something about dongle update? and what is the software you are trying to install, please (or if that's not certain, what is the title legend in the window of the installer) ?

I'm NOT SURE of the differences between your two options. I'm pretty sure it is saying my pc sees this type of disk drive device. and unfortunately I'm just learning windows 10 so am not that easy about manuvering about.

OK. Just let me know, when the software or its installer on the CD, refuses or stops short, what the exact wording of the error message is that mentions updating the dongle - ? if you could go to, or get back to, that place again.

dongle update is not complete. (??) If you exit setup program now set up will not be finished.
it says exit v6 of dongle update in upper corner.

OK, good, I think I have a solution for the problem:

go to

http://www.bernina.com/en-US/Support-US/Software/Embroidery-Software/Dongle-Driver

download (and install!) the driver for your Dongle onto your new Windows 10 PC.

Once installed, try a restart of your PC for completeness, then see if with that driver installed, you can get through the install etc.! it should work. If not, stop and tell me what's wrong.

If it does work, please come back here:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/aomnj-software-new-dell-laptop-windows-10-process.html

and let me know how it went. Thank you!

VERY INVOLVED LICENSING AGREE. I WILL TRY AGAIN TOMORROW; thanks for your help. I think this is the answer; am just too tired to do anymore once I see how involved the agreement is.

Probably the license for the driver install is just a lot of legalese. Most people just skip through the Terms Of Service statement, and proceed with the installation.

But if you are tired, let's take this up tomorrow. I too feel sure it is the solution, but am in no haste myself, so have a good day meanwhile!

thanks. there is also a question as to the actual agreement and it seemed I couldn't implement the full download (ugh) Tomorrow -- fresher.

OK. The driver I linked to was from Bernina's site, and it was shown as good for Windows 10. So aside from legal wordage, it should be good. Tomorrow's good, too.

Andy, Computer Consultant