I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-B5200. It downloaded a

Customer Question
I have a Toshiba...

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-B5200. It downloaded a Windows update and restarted. Nowe it won't reboot and just keeps asking me for a reboot device.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?

It is a Satellite C55-B5200. I am running Windows 8.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes, the computer automatically downloads updates.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Computer
9/17/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 11 months ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Do you have a USB drive or CD inserted in your drive when trying to restart?

No

Since the computer you need assistance with is not accessible, I will not be able to connect to it remotely.

If I power it up, will you be able remotely connect?

Not unless you can actually log into Windows.

I can't log in at all. It says Reboot and select proper Boot device

Power it off if you have it on and try this. Power back on by pressing and holding the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your laptop. When the machine starts beeping; release the 0 key. When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery. Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next. Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again. Click Next to Start recovery.

I don't get a beep, all I get is PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

Okay don't worry about the beep and try again please. Make sure you release the zero key as soon as the recovery warning appears.

I don't get a recovery warning. I only get the message I just sent you.

How old is your computer?

It is 3 years old.

Okay, well I wouldn't think the hard drive would have failed but It is beginning to sound like that. The only to know for sure would be purchase a recovery disc for your particular model and see if you can reload Windows.

That doesn't help. I will take to the Geek Squad at Best Buy.

Well I'm sure they will tell you the same thing, but good luck !

Thanks, good-bye.

You’re very welcome! It was a pleasure working with you.