Today i received a message to contact M.S. Tec'. Dept' as My…

Customer Question
Today i received a...

Today i received a message to contact M.S. Tec'. Dept' as My computer is infected with virus > RDN/Yahl.over.worm/055BCCAC9FEC Infection.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?

I dont know exactly as it was a gift from my bro in law. I think it was a custom built item. It uses mainly Asus parts and is running windows 7.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Only those that come automatically from M.S. There were some came through 2or 3 days ago when I was shutting down.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Only that I am almost deaf so have trouble on a phone, and I am not very computer savvy. The phone number given on the virus warning was 1-800-983-145. I avoided it and looked up the M,S.in case it was a con.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 11 months ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. That is a fake message. It is a scam, so please do not call that number, and do not follow any instructions in it.

Is it a popup message or an email message?

Is the Internet currently working on the problematic computer?
Does the message still occur when you shutdown / restart the computer? Or does the message only occur when you open the Internet? etc.?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

If the message issue is still occurring on your computer, then please try the following fix:

1. Close all programs if possible.
  2. Disconnect the power cord(s) from your internet modem / router device(s) for now.
  3. Shut down your computer.
    ; (Note: If it does not let you shut down your computer, then press and hold the Power on / off button on your computer for about 10 seconds, then it should power off.)
  4. Turn your computer back on.
  5. Open the Internet program on your computer.
    - It should display connection error or something similar.
  6. Close all the internet pages / windows / tabs.
  7. Re-connect the power cord(s) to your internet modem / router device(s).
  8. Wait a few minutes.
  9. Open the Internet on your computer, and if prompted to restore, make sure to cancel / close it; do not restore.
  10. Then see if the popup issue is gone now.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

Also, this issue usually occurs when you accidentally click on a bad website link, or advertisement, or bad email attachment. Using my steps above should resolve the issue. Note: Microsoft, and any legitimate company would never display a message automatically on your computer. When you have a computer issue, you would contact a support company yourself first. Please always ignore any message (or phone call) that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

- Have you tried my steps above yet? Is there still any issue with your computer?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,