Just received a phone call that showed Unknown,

Customer Question
Just received a phone...

Just received a phone call that showed Unknown, Unavailable....and a gentleman started talking who I could not understand telling me that I need to do something with Microsoft .... and since I don't know what he was saying or why he was calling....I'm unwilling to do as he tells me ...he gave me the following number 1-***-***-****.. I am not a techie, but I don't just make a call when someone tells me to who doesn't speak clear english ....

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

Dell .... Windows Ten

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Connect me to who?????????

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Computer
9/14/2017
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 11 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

This phone call was NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where someone will call you and tell you that you have a problem with Microsoft or your computer has been hacked or you have a virus or something along those lines and that you need him to fix it for you. It's totally bogus. No one is monitoring your computer for problems. That's not even possible to do without you installing special software on your computer and intentionally giving them access.

Sometimes these people will claim to be directly with Microsoft. This is always a lie. Microsoft has released a statement saying they never contact customers directly about computer issues and that all contact must first be initiated by the customer.

If you receive these calls in the future, simply ignore them.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you. You can reply back via the box below.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.

Do you have any further questions on this?

If not, please remember to rate the answer 3 STARS or better at the top of the page to close out our session for today.