Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I can't remember my password to get in to my computer, hp

I can't remember my password ***** get in to my computer
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: hp all in one desktop windows 10
JA: When did you purchase your HP? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: about 2 years I tried to do as someone else suggested with the restart but when I get to the screen on troubleshooting its ask for a password
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i know what the password ***** ***** far a the letters it's the capts and not capts and how many + signs i used

I'm sorry about the issue. Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen?

What are the options in Troubleshooting?

What's the restart method did you try?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the restart method I tried was to hold the shift key and the restart button then it goes to troubleshoot screen then reset, recovery manager, advanced options, I chose reset, then is goes to keep my files or remove everything I chose keep my files, then it goes to chose an account to contine or forgot your password ***** don't see your account I chose forgot you password ***** it goes to reset which goes back to the main screen and I still can't get in

Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?

Do you need any data / files?

Do you have backup?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i'm using my daughters laptop to talk to you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's a total different device i'm having troubles with

Got it. Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?

Do you need any data / files?

Do you have backup?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no name or email I really would like to be able to keep one file it's an excel file I don't have a current backup

Can you please try the Shift restart method again, then select option Troubleshoot, then option Recovery manager this time? It should have the option to backup files.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found that and I choose the file backup and it's working right now

Great. It takes time to back up and reset, but it's looking good. Once it's finished backing and resetting, then it will let you set up a new password ***** want. Make sure to remember your password ***** time. Do you need anything else for now? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hope this works, thanks

You're welcome. Yes, it should work. The Recovery Manager -> System Recovery -> Back up files method would make your computer fresh, like brand new, so you can set up a password ***** want. Please let me know. Thank you.

Is the backup / reset process finished? Is your computer working now? Or is there still any issue?

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the backup is still working so I don't know yet
It looks like you have lots of data. Is it showing the backup progress percentage?
Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No there is no progress percentage showing. It's still just scrolling...

I'm sorry; that is strange. When it gave you the option to Backup files, did it give you the option to back up specific folders / files you want?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I stopped the recovery and clicked on the back button and it did give you a choice and I choose data files and it started scrolling again then it stopped but would not let me click on the next button so hit the OK button and it started scrolling again and that is where I'm at now
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I haven't answered before I forgot I could use my tablet to get to my email and on the web

That's okay. How is it going now? Is it still stuck at backing up?

Please let me know. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have finally got back in but now I need to see if I can get things loaded to find my files

Great. Can you please open the folder where you backed up files previously, then open the application called RecoveryMgr (or Restore) to restore your files?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found the file and it bought up a file restore page
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it asked if I want to store to local disk c: or local disk d: and I picked c:
disk C:. Is it showing the restore progress now?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no its asking browse a folder windows C: do I need to make a new folder or use one that is their
You should create a new folder. Or if possible, select Desktop option or Documents option, and create a new folder there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will have to finish this all later have to go to grandkids ball game thanks for your help. I will let you know how things go thanks
You're welcome. Please take your time. Thank you.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I don't know who rated this because I haven't done any questions to rate this tech. As of today he was very helpful and I would use his again. I would change the stars to 5 rate but it won't let me. I'm sorry If i can fix it let me know.
Thank you. To rate my service, please click on the 5-star icon at the top right of this page, then click on Submit on the right. Thank you for your patience.