I recently acquired a Surface 1rt that built for a foreign…

Customer Question
I recently acquired a...

I recently acquired a Surface 1rt that built for a foreign market, it has no English language capability. I would like to use it in the US-in English.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

Surface 1 RT 64 GB.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No I just acquired it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
9/12/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. You can try to download a recovery image for your surface by going to this LINK and supplying the requested information. You may be able to download an English version of Windows there.

Please let me know if you still require assistance by responding here and I will reply back as soon as possible.

you are charging me nearly $50. to tell me to go to Microsoft for my solution? My barber told me the same thing plus he gave me a haircut for $15. I don't have a PHD in economics but.......

What I am telling you is, in order to remove the copy of Windows you currently have and replace it with an English version, you will need to go to Microsoft to download that version and install it onto your surface. I am providing you the best information available without attempting any insults.

Dan:
Based on the serial number on the tablet that Microsoft requests to do the download, the version I would get is the one I have in the recovery directory (I think it is some eastern Europe language) .
Sorry for the tirade... After all this horsing around and cost, what I will end up with is still an RT door stop not usable for much.
I have all ready scrapped it.
Thanks again!!!!!

I understand. Microsoft can be very unforgiving at times!

Dan, Computer Support Specialist