Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I've inserted a flash drive but I'm unable to type in reset

Customer Question

I've inserted a flash drive but I'm unable to type in reset as the designated horizontal bar does not appear
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: An acer notebook running windows 7 starter, I think
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, for the past two years I haven't use this computer, only an iPad because I think my comuter was hijacked
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, before I stopped using this computer I did get an on screen message saying that "this computer is now under the control of" and it gave an IP address but it flashed across the screen too quickly for me to record it. Before that I'd been having trouble with this computer, doubling and tripling of records. Suspecting malware I tried downloading internet tools claiming to clean the computer but they failed, I wasn't able to activate them
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome. In order to verify which version of Windows you have please do this on the machine:

On your keyboard, hold down the Windows logo key to the left of the spacebar and press
R.

The Run box will open.

In the text area type: winver and click OK.

A window will open telling you which Windows you have.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've followed your instructions, held Down the windows bar but no response.is it important that the computer is on waiting installation of password?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Wait a moment please. Is your situation that you have forgotten the password ***** log in to the machine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, the situation is that my computer has been taken by an unknown source and my password changed preventing me from using it
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. Sorry for the delay. You may have inadvertently clicked on the Get a New Expert link and it locked me out,

preventing me from responding to you until now.

When you type in your password, does it say that the password ***** ***** or does it give another message?

Also, can you tell me the source of the flash drive you're using.