Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

About an hour ago my internet didling was interrupted by a

Customer Question

About an hour ago my internet didling was interrupted by a note, ostensibly a "Security Warning" about a virus which had deleted an operational segment of my computer operation. They insisted I call 1-***-***-**** while warning that I should not shut down my computer on pain of a complete loss of info stored in the computer. They included an IT address "worldnewcome.life/7495/edge/index.htm". There were enough English errors to convince me that it was NOT from a legitimate source. I therefore hit the OFF button and, except for returning to an outdated home screen, everything now seems back to normal. Do you have any other contacts on such a virus?
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And how long has the screen been an issue?
Customer: HP Pavillion m7 Notebook - as mentioned in my Q it only happened an hour ago and seems normal now
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: He/She should know that they are dealing with a computer nitwit
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and respond.

You did the right thing by shutting it off. It's possible that it altered some of your files, I would strongly suggest scanning for malware though. That's done with a malware scanner, and I can give you a link to that along with instructions on what to do.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry. I did not realize that I would have to join an internet company. Please shut the process down. If I owe some money for initiating this QnA you have my credit card info.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry I want to disconnect from the query process.

No joining required. We can do a single question.

It's entirely up to you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My original intent was to inform a specialist of what I am now sure was a scam and not a hack to disable my computer. Please confirm that the interaction has been stopped.

Ok. I will stop. I would strongly urge you to run a malware scan, though. I've been doing this for a very long time and there is a little more to that scam than the scam part.