Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 10. It is a spare

Customer Question

Hi...I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 10. It is a spare for me and I have forgotton the access password. How do I get in to reset the password?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is a Satellite S55-A5139.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No...the computer has been in a drawer for probably 6 months. I just took it out to check on it. I normally use another laptop...this is just a spare.
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do you need any addtional info?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

Above the password ***** you will see your username and usually an email address.

Do you see an email address there with your username?

Let me know please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No...just unername
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I want to cancel my subscription / free trial.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Ok, I see you have not signed up so there is no subscription (you have to sign up for it)

As you only have a username, then there is no way to reset this online as you used an internal account, not an email address as the sign in.

In this situation you have to reinstall windows, there is no way to get around this. It will remove all your data and return the computer to new, but you cannot avoid this, it is the whole point of the security.

To do this, hold the SHIFT key on the keyboard and with it held down, click on the power icon on the screen then restart.

Keep shift held down until it has restarted and your at a menu.

Choose from this menu, Troubleshoot, then Reset My PC.

You will have to choose to remove all your files for this to work.

Let this complete and once it has, you will need to setup your computer again just like when you first received it.

Let me know please how you go.