Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

On Friday night I had a tech support person call and say he

Customer Question

On Friday night I had a tech support person call and say he was from Microsoft and needed to fix my Windows 7 connection (Justin Kemp) because it was so fragmented. He charged me $299.99 for the work and putting on 3 security devices. Is this something your company would do?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is a Lenovo. I am operating under Windows 7. I never received the update.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No. Actually. I am not very tech savvy. This was my daughter's computer and she passed away 2 years ago.
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to know if this was legitimate, since they insisted on scanning my check. I am a senior on a limited income and this is a big expense for me. He said that he was calling from his office on Broadway in Newe York City and had me make out the check to "Radiant Mic".
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

First, call your bank. Get your money back immediately. No, they may outsource for Microsoft,

but this is common for people to take advantage of you. Call and cancel that check then reply back.

We need to clean up your pc and get all that off there next.

Then, use this link to report the scam.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/reportascam/

Put as much info on them that you have so they can be pursued.

Once you are done, reply here and we will get your pc cleaned up.